Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got the Fork and didn't realize you have to pull the big nut off the 5th gear to get the fork off.

The nut seems to have two locking tabs holding it.

Question; Do I bend these outwards to unlock it, or just whale on it with an impact?
Also, how much torque to put the nut back on?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Try to bend them outwards as much as you can with a chisel and hammer. They dont have to be out all the way, an impact gun will do the rest. You want to put that SOB pretty tight. I tighten it with an impact gun and then gave it a few quick zaps with the trigger afterwards. Try to use a new spot on the nut to bend in the tabs. A hammer and chissel again to push inwards on the nut. There should be a few pics in the link I sent you in the other thread. Click on all the pics to zoom. Dont foget my Karma! The little check mark at the bottom of this post.

-Tyler

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Make sure to use new nuts. A couple of bucks investment is better than the consequence.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!
Not really concerned with getting new nuts. The car has 200K and leaks just about everything you can think of.:freak:
Pretty much got it for a work car and gas mileage, but that 5th gear popping out on the interstate is driving me crazy.

Tyler,
I already looked at the link you gave me, but it didn't really answer my question I was asking here. But it still was helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Take another look at the link, I just posted my problem & solution. I never reuse tagged nuts (I'm referring to the tagged nuts on the 2 shafts, not the drain plug, what does 200k and leaks have to do with ensuring these nuts don't back off?)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
tyler886 said:
Mazda "doesnt stock them" anymore. Maybe thats just because I didnt have the partnumber available for the lazy fu¢k answering the phone that day.

-Tyler
:shrug: I've bought close to $250 worth of new mazda trans parts including shift rod ends, forks, nuts, detents, shims... I think just about every single part is available for purchase still except for possibly the case halves.

-Eric

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Zick said:
Thanks guys!
Not really concerned with getting new nuts. The car has 200K and leaks just about everything you can think of.:freak:
Pretty much got it for a work car and gas mileage, but that 5th gear popping out on the interstate is driving me crazy.

Tyler,
I already looked at the link you gave me, but it didn't really answer my question I was like asking here. But it still was helpful, thanks.
Make sure you use loctite if your planing on being a tigthass on new nuts !

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
MazdaMiester said:
:shrug: I've bought close to $250 worth of new mazda trans parts including shift rod ends, forks, nuts, detents, shims... I think just about every single part is available for purchase still except for possibly the case halves.

-Eric
Ford Australia show the change hub as no longer available. Mazda show the inner hub as deleted but you can still buy the outer and also had 3 complete assemblies left.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts