Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After talking to my mechanic today he recommended me not to use a universal 02 sensor since it wont work really well and i wont pass emissions with it, but im not sure if i should trust him and dish out the extra 200 dollars for an OEM one... the one im buying right now is called blue streek and its $82.99 (canadian) and the mazda one is $289.99 (canadian) so what im wondering is whats the $200.00 difference about if they both do the same thing and a 50 000km warrenty is given with both... anybody have bad expericences with universal O2 sensors or know the difference between an OEM one and a universal and what the prices are all about? tia... the help is greatly appreciated..

P.S i tried doing a search about universla O2 sensors but i couldnt find the answer i was looking for

·
Registered
131 Posts
If the cheeper one is the same part go with it. As long as it is guranteed to work with the mx6. I cant believe an o2 sensor costs so much

·
Registered
45 Posts
My mechanic said the same thing to me. He did not want to install the Universal sensor I had bought (the 4 wire one) and said I should get an OEM part if I was going to do it. I was worried that I would not pass my emissions test so that is why I was considering the repair. I decided to do the test anyway and passed with flying colours. I guess the CEL light only flashes when the O2 sensor isnt working and as long as it doesn't stay on for long (and not during your test!) you should be ok.

PeMIL

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you don't want to go with the Univ. one, you can still get a NGK 02 sensor or Bosch for under $100 a piece. Check out www.carparts.com and drop by www.importhookup.com to see if they have any current coupons for carparts.com. I have the NGK's which have worked for me. I like to get the ones with the OEM connectors since I don't feel like splicing wires. That's just me and the Univ.'s do work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also check out http://www.buyoxygensensors.com/

Generic O2 sensors work just fine. The easiest way is to get them with the OEM connector already installed so you don't have to splice any wires. You don't have to get factory ones at all. The markup on them is ridiculous.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I looked at the automedic site, do we need the 4-wire sensor (93 v-6 LS)? and do we need one or replace both? I've been running with one failed for almost 3 years now.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
this thread is good

I was told that with the universal, you have to splice the wires, meaning you first would need a capable mech type guy :)

My guy said that it wouldnt work as well, But i think it would either work or not...

If Saint is sayin they work though.. then why the hell not! :) :)

gorillaballs: I think you would notice a severe performance improvemet if you fixed it :)

the price delta is to big to not consider universal over OEM

Lates :)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rufnek is right gorilla.... i've been stuck with a bad RO2 sensor for 8 months now and i noticed poor gas mileage as well as rough idling and hesitations... + carbon deposits build up extremely quick so im guessing ur car must drive like a civic right about now :p j/k... and also man the catalytic converter is prone to falling off due to the terrible emissions... simply get it fixed unless ur poor like me, then one night find an mx6 in someones driveway, jack it up and unplug there O2 sensor and replace it with yours, then ur set! })

1 - 8 of 8 Posts