Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Eternal College Student
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, this one was actually fast. i'd seen it around campus. white, with like 10 brand stickers on the windows. didn't look bad though. and anyway we were on a two-lane road and went from a roll. second gear he actually takes me pretty hard by like a car(WTF?!) then i switch to third around 70 and gain the car back by the end of third, and by 105 i finally managed to pass him.

came to a light with my brakes smoking, and we took off. needless to say my 9 pound flywheel helped me jump about 1.5 quick cars on him. then switched to second and once again he started to catch me from like 40-60 which is when i heard him switch to third. last 10 mph before i put it in third i got my lead back to about a car length, and wound out third. at 95 when i slowed down he was about 1.5-2 cars behind.

i've never had a prelude fair this well. never run into one with any significant mods i guess. sure as hell never gotten one with a turbo on it, but i know they're out there.

does anybody know how fast these things can get with the vtec controller, headers, exhaust, intake, and all the other typical bolt-ons that you can do to one before you go to F/I? this was def. a 14 second prelude

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
sweet

You went into 3rd at 70? Is that normal for a KLZE?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
if you take the gear to the max, yes. i'm debating whether or not it is benificial, but "seat of the pants" it feels like it still makes a lot of power up to that speed in second, and then when i switch to third i'm like right in the prime powerband. usually what it does is just gives me a more strait acceleration curve, if that makes any sense.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
oh crap this is brad. forgot to logout. damn i hater it when i do that

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
KrisLuvsYou143 said:
if you take the gear to the max, yes. i'm debating whether or not it is benificial, but "seat of the pants" it feels like it still makes a lot of power up to that speed in second, and then when i switch to third i'm like right in the prime powerband. usually what it does is just gives me a more strait acceleration curve, if that makes any sense.
Agreed. The ZE pulls much deeper into the RPM range then the DE ever could.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I dont really know sorry i cant help more. I would think they respond fairly well, they are higher compression engines i think, and most vtec's take mods well. Just speculating really, your better off asking someone who knows what they are talking about...

-Bryce

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
mxmissle9 said:
so nobody knows anything bout how well preludes respond to mods?
Guess I missed the original question. As far as a N/A car goes, Hondas tend to resond very well to mods. Especially the VTEC ones. I don't really have any concrete numbers on me to throw at you, but I can assure you that a mere I/H/E setup on my friends 4th gen Lude put it at 14.86. That's not that bad a mark. And I can't say he was the best driver you can find either. Average, or slightly better at best.

This also created 181 whp, but he didn't have a stock number to compare to, so who knows. Seemed like it realyl improved the car though. :shrug:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've seen a 97+ Prelude w/intake, header, exhaust, VTEC controller, stage III clutch, fidanza flywheel, cam gears, and a lightened pully set run a 13.9 on drag radials. That's pretty impresive for a 4 cyl NA car that ways 3000 lbs.

The 93-96 Ludes are faster though, I knew a guy that had a J-Spec motor swap (5 more hp than A-Spec) w/intake, header, exhaust, and VTEC controller run a [email protected], which is stock Type R territory.

Preludes are definatly the most powereful Honda's, but their reliability suck's when they start to make power due to their alluminum block (unless you resleeve the block for a lot of $$$$)

B20's with a 2.2 stroker kit and FI is the way to go for Honda's.

(can you tell I've been hanging around Honda owner's too much?)

Juggalo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts