Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
antenna install

Guys I hope this is the correct forum.Ifnt will a moderator please move it.
while parked at airport some dwizzle bent my antenna all to shizzle.I picked up another a boneyard. Now how do i get this installed properly? it was laying in backseat of the donor "easy for me" where do i hook up the mast to any help given will be given karma.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
I think you posted in the wrong place indeed.

- first remove the antenna plug behind your radio.
- Then free the whole cable from any attachement (you should be able to free up tp where your left knee is when u drive.
- You may need to remove the platic cover that protects the fusebox (Bottom left again)
- Once all that is done unsrew the two screws on the antenna.
- Pul the antena gently making sure that nothing sticks.

Once the old antenna is removed proceed in the reverse order.

In order to make things easy first pass the cable through the hole and make sure you grab it on the other site (bottom left).
This is a pretty straight forward operation and you shouldn't have any problem.

Peace
NSXR

Reactions: Zach

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
BTW This was for a regular antenna ... not motorized.

For motorized antennas there is an extra step consisting of putting 12V to the motor the extend the antenna past the limit (this way you free it from the motor)

Peace
NSXR

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
ur a moderator now? nice..haha

btw, if it's motorized, there is a switch inside the cabin correct? i heard that almost all GT's had power antenna's, but mine does not

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
It should be a remote power on wire connected to your stereo. Mine was wired wrong when it was installed so I had to go in and re-wire it myself. Now the antenna goes up when the radio comes on and goes down if I listen to cd's. Of course there may be another reason why yours isn't working, but who knows.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
hmm...then maybe i do...hahaha not sure. i thought i had a replacement antenna somewhere....i might fix mine sometime. all i know is that it doesn't go down more than halfway

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Hi,

Yes I am a Temporary Mod ...

If you have a GT you must have a motorized antenna.
You should actually hear it when turning on the ignition and after.

My advice to you ...

Replace it with a regular antenna .. the motorized one breaks quite often.

Peace
NSXR

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
NSXR is right, all LXs and GTs have motorized antennas. Hotass's is just broken like 90% of the ones out there, when this happens you can usually only move it halfway by hand.

I agree to replace it with a non-motorized antenna from a DX, you'll just have to pull it up and down manually. You can replace the motorized antenna but the process is a bit more complex and you'll have to buy a new replacement antenna mast from the dealer.

Another thing to keep in mind is that our power antenna control wires work oppositely of many others. Most aftermarket headunits like to apply +12v to a wire to get the antenna to go up. Our cars do not work like that, you do not apply power to the wire to have the antenna go up/down, but rather, you either connect the wire to ground or disconnect the wire from ground. You can easily "invert" the polarity of this wire by using a relay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.