Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I bought my '96 LS (about a couple months ago), the antenna hasn't been working. I just replaced the antenna mast and it still isn't working. I think I'm going to have to replace the motor now too. If anyone knows a way to check if the motor is working, please help me out. It may still work, but I may be doing something wrong. What's a common problem with these antennas?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanx,
Adj

·
Registered
806 Posts
The common problem is the plastic piece inside of the mast either breaking or the teeth stripping out. When the plastic piece broke in mine, I could hear the antenna motor running. Check the connector to the antenna to make sure it is connected good. I assume you probably took the antenna housing apart to replace the mast, check for loose wires and did you hear anything before replacing the mast? Otherwise, I would have to guess the motor is gone.

·
Registered
121 Posts
When mine went, it was the plastic teeth. A new factory mast was able to line up with the gears and work. Aftermarket mast may not fit correctly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
if you still haven't fixed the problem, here's the proceedure on how to fix it.

Remove the antenna mast. Go in the trunk and pull back the liner so you can get to the antenna motor.
Unplug the power connector, the antenna cable, the drain tube and undo the 10mm bolt.
After you have the motor out of the car and on the table, begin disecting it. Undo all the philips screws, the 2 12mm bolts I believe and the casing will come apart.
Once it's apart, you'll see the motor and a clear plastic round thing - that's the spool. Remove the spool by pulling on it. There will probably be the remains of gear teeth from the old antenna mast. Remove it and any other debree you might see. Put the spool back in and reassemble the casing. Put the motor back in the trunk and reconnect everything. Turn on the radio and head over to the antenna hole. Insert the new antenna mast being sure to point the gear teeth towards the back of the car. Once it's in all the way it will go, turn off the radio. It will then pull the antenna the rest of the way in. If not, turn on the radio and try again. Once the antenna in reeled all the way in, screw in the top part of the antenna and you are all set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts