Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a problem with my anti-theft system working for quite a while now... a couple of years actually. Not only the alarm but the main dome light as well. They are obviously on the same circuit but I'm not sure where to start trouble shooting the issue. At times they will amazingly turn on but usually the next time I get in the car the circuit has shorted again. I am in the process of having the engine reconditioned so now is the time to address it. Is there anyone that has delt with this problem before? Any ideas would be appreciated...

BTW... as long as I'm on the electrical subject, has anyone installed a shut off device for the headlight switch on a 1st gen mx6? Now that I think about it, this same circuit contains the headlight chime as well. After conditioning myself to turn the headlights off when hearing the chime, well lets just say I've replaced a few batteries in the past several years!! haha

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
268 Posts
The first and obvious thing is to check fuses (under the dash and under the hood), have you done this? If so, make sure you're getting power to the fuse. Do you have a multimeter? One side should be reading +12V (probably), and the other floating, you won't be able to get anything really.

On a side note, I have problems with my dome light sometimes, but it's the switch. Just takes a little wiggling to get it going in case you have something similar.

·
Registered
897 Posts
If you're replacing a battery more often than every 3 years, go to Discount Auto, buy a Silver battery, and you're set. 3 year free replacement warranty. Just have them test it, and they'll give you a new one free if it's bad.

Otherwise, dunno. I installed a chime in my old CRX, because I was used to driving a Prelude, with the flip lights. Hard to break myself of the habit looking at the flip lights to see if they're on.

I have gotten in the habit of pushing in the light switch on my Tempo and Cavalier, whether I know the lights are on or not. On the MX-6, I turn the light switch when I stop, just to see if they're on.

And I carry a good set of jumper cables in the trunk at all times :D

Dunno about a auto-cutoff switch, but Wal-Mart (and other places I'm sure) have a chime that you can install- when the key is turned and the lights are on, it stays off. Any time the lights are on, and the key isn't turned, it chimes. Just depends on if it's loud enough for you to hear it to make a difference. If you have the radio up loud, you might not notice it.

And then there's my dad's proven method- always look back at your car to see if the lights are on. Cheapest alternative (;

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
The first thing to check would be the door pin switch. It's located in the door jamb. If this switch has failed, the CPU (unit near fusebox that controls the interior lights) will think the door is closed.

This switch will affect the alarm as well because in order to arm the alarm you have to 1.) open the door and 2.) push the driver's door lock down. In your case, the CPU (which also controls the factory alarm) thinks #1 isn't happening.

I'm having problems with mine currently as well when it's cold outside. I have to play with the pin switch to get the interior lights to come on when I open the driver's door. I'm off to the dealer soon to order a new switch.

Try messing with your door pin switch if you get in and the lights aren't on. They're the little black rubber thingys located in the lower latch side of each of the door jambs.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Has anyone unlocked there car and the light stays on. It only does it sometimes

After I unlock my car and open the door I hear the beep and the light is still on. When I close the door it goes away?? It also does this when its armed and I unlock the pass. side door. The whole time the pass. side door is open the light is on and it beeps every 5-10secs. Probably just to tell me its stil armed

I havent had the alarm go off on me though. I do get false alarms maybe 1 every 3months. I think thats the alarm telling you its still working. Or maybe it just has practice days:D

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
physical parking barriers for your car is another good anti-theft option
How deep did you dig to find this thread?
These parking barriers "bollards" seem extreme, look expensive and as though they where designed for the rich, self important douche bags that think they are better than everyone else, just like car alarms. You don't want people to steal your car than build a reputation that you aren't to be screwed with, earn respect through fear, if you can't do that you don't deserve you car.
So your suggestion here is to have a crew install these barriers everywhere you go and park? they just tap into underground electrical wires and bore into the ground to install hydraulic pistons, pump and controls? probably be cheaper to just buy used cars and give away the keys after every outing.

Why does it look like 1 out of 3 "Bollards" in the link are installed crooked?

I once had a friend who though it was a good idea to buy clothes and wear them once, throw
them out and buy new clothes instead of paying someone to launder them. I pointed out people have touched and tried on the clothes that are on the rack at the store, they need to be washed before you wear them, that the cost of one month of new clothes buys a used washer and drier and how f***ing special are you to pay others to wash your dirty laundry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts