Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was driving my car today and it started smokin i checked it out and it was antifreeze leaking out of the side of the motor. My buddy said it might be the water pump. well i tried to drive it home and it died after 15 minutes i towed it home and it still wont start someone said the timing chain could be messed up. does anyone have any ideas or know what it could be?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey,

sounds like a waterpump, i had the same problem, you can get it checked at a mechanics store for around 30$ to find out where it leaks exactly using the LED lights and the solution. now for it not starting that might be anything, check you alternator belt since thats the closest thing to the waterpump..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think im going to take it in to a mechanics tomorrow. i found the water pump kit and the timing belt kit for 105 bucks. but ive never done this before so i think i might pay a pro. oh well as long as i can still drive her

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Water pump does sound likely, except it wouldn't actually smoke. It'd just drip from behind the cover on to the ground.

Smoking under the hood to me means it had to hit the exhaust which means a front radiator hose must have a crack and as it falls onto the fan area, it gets blown onto the exhaust and smokes.

Tell us exactly what your car does when it "doesn't start". Does it crank? If so, does it sound like it wants to start but just isn't?

If it was the upper radiator hose (by the filler port), it could have gotten your alternator belt wet to not charge (hence first time it died while driving). Then, of course, a dead battery would cause it to also not start in the future.

Just throwing ideas out there till we get more info.

A timing belt is not the funnest job. I wouldn't recommend it for an amateur DIY mechanic unless you have someone local that could help if you were in a pinch. Unless you don't need the car for a while and can come to the boards for info that could take a day or two for useful responses.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thanks for the response guys.

When i try to start it, it turns over and sounds like it wants to start but it just wont. it was'nt my battery because when he was towing me the rest of the way home my lights were working fine and so did the hazards.

This is probably going to be an exspensive fix. The water pump and timing belt with all the gaskets and bearings are $105 off of ebay and im guessing the labor is going to take three hours which is $210 for a mechanic around here

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
When I used to pay someone to do it, it was about $500. That was a quality mechanic shop though. I've read of people having it done for $300-$350 (though not in a while, I don't look much anymore). The dealer I bet you'd be looking at $800 or upwards of $1000.

So yeah, it's one of the most expensive jobs (if you pay someone) for these cars with the least amount of parts cost. It's up there with just doing the rear VCG.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i dropped the car off at the local mechanic today. I was just wondering if the water pump goes out, does that have to do with the timing belt, cause the car wont start now. I was wondering, if its the timing belt would that be why the car wont start

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
The timing belt has grooves which keep it from changing position. So no, the water pump is not very likely to have affected your timing belt.

Perhaps if you had some chaffed wires on your crank sensor and water got on them, it could interfere with the signal it provided.. that's about all I'm thinking of. You'd get a code for it too if that was the case.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the mechanic said that a code is coming up that i have possible engine damage. So he thinks when my water pump went out it through off my timing and i could have posibly bent a valve. If thats true does anyone know if its cheap to get a new head.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
well the mechanic said that a code is coming up that i have possible engine damage.
No such code exists.
So he thinks when my water pump went out it through off my timing
Physically impossible for the water pump to cause the timing belt to skip a tooth.
and i could have posibly bent a valve.
Also physically impossible as we have non-interference engines. This means that the piston cannot possibly hit a valve even in the most extreme conditions (valve fully open, piston at top dead center).
If thats true does anyone know if its cheap to get a new head.
It'll be much cheaper to get a new mechanic. Either your current one is trying to steal money from you, or they don't know enough about these engines to properly diagnose the problem you are having. Either way, time for a new mechanic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well thanks for the info man, im not going to let him rip me off, he was just going off of what i was telling him but he said he will start to get into the engine tomorrow morning. he is a friend of the family so he wont overcharge me, but if he says that the valve is bent then ill take the car else where thanks for the advice. you might have just saved me a ton of money

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
In response to your PM, here's a link which discusses the difference between interference and non-interference engines. You need to search for the word "interference" to get to the right area of the page.

Benefit of the doubt for your "friend of the family" mechanic. He could be just guessing that your car has an interference engine like many Japanese vehicles do. Still doesn't explain the timing belt jumping due to the water pump failure, but these are old cars so that could be a secondary issue he is trying to diagnose at the same time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats very true i guess now i just wait to see what he says tomorrow. If its to bad i will just look for a rebuilt turbo 2.2 and drop that in

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well the mechanic is set on it being a interference again and he thinks i broke a valve. He told me today that my timing was off and he needed to fix that before he can tell how bad the damage is on the head.

So i think i will buy a cheap little car untill i can buy a new engine for it cause this is getting exspensive haha thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
well the mechanic is set on it being a interference again and he thinks i broke a valve. He told me today that my timing was off and he needed to fix that before he can tell how bad the damage is on the head.

So i think i will buy a cheap little car untill i can buy a new engine for it cause this is getting exspensive haha thanks for the advice guys
The 1g could be interference. To be honest, I always assume posters in this forum have a 2g V6 unless otherwise mentioned as those are the most popular engines out there at this point in time.

But one tooth on a timing belt is not going to cause any engine to bend valves. Maybe someone else can chime in here on that.

Ask him how he diagnosed the jumped timing belt unless he's already got your accessory belts off along with the timing belt cover. There's no easy other way to know.

Also, keep in mind that if you pay him to change / fix your timing belt, you'll be paying all over again for him to remove it to pull the heads to fix the supposed valve.

I still think this guy either A) doesn't know what he's doing or B) is trying to screw you over. Benefit of the doubt, lets go with option A. Get your car out of there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah im going to buy a firebird and when i find an engine for cheap ill swap it out thanks for the advice bro

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well im going to have the mechanic replace the water pump and timing belt for 300 bucks then im going to take apart the head and fix the valves myself i just bought the haynes book on my car so hopefully thats all i need haha

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
well im going to have the mechanic replace the water pump and timing belt for 300 bucks then im going to take apart the head and fix the valves myself i just bought the haynes book on my car so hopefully thats all i need haha
You do realize, that you will be removing the timing belt your mechanic just installed to pull the head, right?

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
1g's are non-interference as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts