Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I thought I'd found my car but it seems I spoke too soon cause now I am not so sure it seemed a bargain at the price with under 70k on the clock but now I've had it checked out not 100%. Although I've not decided agains't it just yet and might still be the proud owner soon.

Whats bugging me is although I haven't seen it the mechanic's told me that it has dents and scratches which for a car advertised as in excellent cond I wasnt expecting. Plus it's got some rust, needs new brake pipes and drivers leather seats split there's also other things so need's some work and really I wanted a cleaner car.

Anyway seen a J spec with even fewer miles on it but again not sure since insurance is meant to be a nightmare on those.

Does anyone know where I can get a manual mx6 with low milliage and full service history pref the 2.5 V6 and the lower the miles the better.

If you do e-mail me at [email protected]

I'd appreciate it alot.

Trouble is I don't really want to spend much more than 1800 cash and pos px in a saab 900 ontop if they want it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Can't offer you any specific cars to look at other than to say, don't rush into buying a six. There is absolutely no need. With the way the market is at the moment, you're in a good position as a buyer. Look on ebay, i've seen countless clean looking cars going for about your budget. The one you were looking at doesn't sound too good. Rust is unusual on these cars and could point to a previous accident. As for the leather, that's hard to get in perfect nick, mines about the best i've seen (in person) but it's still not perfect.
One last thing, look into insurance on the J-spec. I did the same thing and assumed it would be too much and I regret it now. I was looking at a J and if i'd have got it it would have saved me a year of looking for lights, sills, mirrors etc all of which are higher spec on imports (not to mention 40bhp more).

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
price won't be a lot more for insurance! and u will get a lot more goodies with th ecar;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Don't rush into to buying, there are loads of cars on the market, it's a buyers market. I don't mean that it's time to offer insulting prices but you sure can to haggle...

Regarding low mileage, if the car has been looked after then it should be good for at least 150 - 170 K miles. Mines just had it's 100K service, belts, water pump and still drives, looks and feels like new..

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Mines just turned 152,000 on the way to work last night :D , only things that have had to be replaced due to failure (and not mods or general maintainance) in the past 2.5 years is the known water pump problem and an exhaust ! and has not failed either of the last 2 mot's.... yes the shocks and springs have seen better days, thats why my nice new tokico springs and shocks are being fitted next week :ewink: .

so there you have it... take your time, look around, find a well looked after and documented one, like Richard says, it is a buyers market at the moment with all the cars being advertised at the moment, some going for a nice price too.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
With 150K on the clock, it's just about run in...... these engines are good for over 300K if serviced regularly.. The bodywork is also long lasting.

When a run of the mill Chav was selling brand new at about £7K... these were just over £20K.... considering what they are bringing in now, it doesn't seem fair really... All Mazda's back then were fairly expensive, and that's why there are not many about...

Nowadays, they are priced more competitively, and sell well, but the quality has dropped a long way... Ford's influence for you.. "build em cheaper, sell em cheaper"

I reckon the older ones, will still outlast the newer models.. time will tell.

John

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tell you what I'll stick a more in depth post on once I have the full report and get your views then... if thats ok of course.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
If the car you are looking at has been described as in 'excellent condition' yet is covered in scratches and rust, I personally would avoid buying the car. As it could have been neglected, these cars don't like that and will suffer from it.

A well maintained car will last for a very long time though, regular oil changes every 3000 miles, proper services at defined intervals will all help the engine last for well in excess of 200000+ miles. The engine will probably outlast the body.

Rust isn't a major issue either, most cars (especially UK ones) had an anti corrosion strip on the lower section and cars that are over 10yrs old might only now be showing the slightest signs of rust. Areas to check around around the sunroof, the rear wheel arches and around the front/rear windows. Rust anywhere else is unlikely and probably due to accident damage/poor repair or neglect.

Mechanically, a service history is preferred. Timing belts should be done at 60000 intervals and if they can't prove it's been done, then it's a job that would need doing urgently and that should be considered in your offers. Engines as stated are robust, if it sounds like it's a little tappity it's not usually a big deal, all these engines seem to be tappity, it's the HLA's (hydrallic lifters) and is of no detriment to the engine.

As for price, it does seem to be a buyers market, but it all depends on the condition of the car, how old it is and how much you want it.

We've seen older 92-94 cars going for under £1000, but these are likely to need some repairs and the paint is going to be a little chipped and scratched. little car park dings are to be expected. Later model cars, especially ones with leather still fetch higher prices although not as much as some dealers/books will have you believe. Prices in real life are on average around 30-40% lower than pars.co.uk think they are.

That said, it's also possible that the members here are used to seeing bargain prices. We've seen people paying upto £3000 for a late model in good condition, so for £1800 you should be able to find something very nice indeed. Take your time, look at a lot of them... Probably better of buying privately than from a dealer as they will charge you at least £1000-1500 over what the car is really worth. You'll get a better deal going private and selling your car.

·
Registered
236 Posts
This one looks good and at 1250 ono she would probably take 1100 (if you smiled) http://cars.uk.freeads.net/1994__MAZDA_MX6_63,413-161039.htm OK so it's got a girlie box but ...

Wow E you realy think that the engines wil do 300K, that's amazing. We are definately underpricing these cars an Mitz FTO of the same same (as above) is selling, on average for at least 2K more, I've never had one but from the pics I've seen the interior seems to be very similar apart from the leg room in the back.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
My line manager has an FTO, but witrh a 2lt V6 it lacks the power of the 6... He's had his car fully customised, lowered, painted and body kit... and He can't even come close to staying with me. He's currently trying to source the Mitz 2.5 V6 to drop in there as that would bring up to my level.

As for the leg room, there isn't any in the back... You might aswell call it a 2 seater.

They look nice, but lack the power of the 6 and cost more to buy, plus a lot more to bring them up to our level... Just further proof that we have one of the greatest VFM cars out there.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
it took me around 3 months i think to find mine... never rush in to buy a car.. unless there is a really good reason.... do factor in that once purchased you will be expected to spend vast amounts of cash modding :D

·
Registered
822 Posts
Well the most important thing of all is that you have found your way to the best bit of advice you can get! We area honest bunch here and love our cars so you can be sure of good advice.
Mine is, be patient.... there is a car out there for you, wait till you feel the 'bond' !!!!
I looked at several but they just didnt feel right to me, this one just hit the right spot. bit like falling in love!

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Rich... there is a 2.5 626 going around with over 450,000 miles on it... no major work other than regular services and consumables... the only failing being rear calipers and the dizzy problem.. there is even a 2.0 626 with over 350,000 miles..

I think these engines speak for themselves..

John

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks guys

Hi just thought I'd let you know that I bought it since the mechanic who checked the car out gave a false report to me which I haven't even recieved a copy of yet. To top that off he tried to gazump me by trying to persuade the couple to part with the car to him. As you might imagine I am not happy. However his comeuppance will come of that I am so sure (I have my sources) lol.

Anyway it only cost me £1450 with a full tank and has nothing really wrong with it , well nothing a little tlc can't fix plus it's a 96 P reg 2.5 v6 Gt with full leather, 68k on the clock, and full service history, totally standard with only 2 previous owners in Noble Green.

As far as the body work goes at least there is one scratch (scrape) on the bumper and one on the back end at the right thats going to need a little paint (looks like shopping centre car park damage to me) but I'll get those done when I can. Plus a rust bubble probably where a stone chip hasn't been attended to properly on one of the front wings again easy to deal with and few minor dent's in various places which I will also be able to deal with easilly. The interior is pretty immaculate barring the drivers seat which is going to need some repair work but thats only gonna cost about 100 quid or so.

So now all I need is a good painter and somewhere decent for servicing although I might just throw myself in at the deepend and do it all myself.

Anyway lad's and laddetes thanks for ya help.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Well, all I can say £1450 sounds like a VERY good price for such a low mileage example.
Just think, all that extra money can be spent on mods :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm glad someone thinks the same as me, not sure at the moment if I should do the minimum possible and sell it asap for as much as pos (recon I can double my money easy round here.)

Or just keep it have fun and do it up think I shall decide once I take it for a spin round brands and see what it can really do.. but thats assuming that can be wangled.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Trust me, once you start driving it... you'll want to keep it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts