Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought all of you might have advice for how to make sure a high mileage (138k) 1990 MX6 DX passes the emissons part of the saftey inspection. I think I have everything else covered like ball joints and lights and wipers, but you never know about the smog check.

I was going to replace the plugs, air filter and maybe the O2 sensor as the wire from the sensor is frayed and I don't know if the sensor is still working. I was also thinking about resetting the ECU. Does all of this sound good? Any other tips?

Thanks.

Bill

·
Registered
515 Posts
Regular tune-up items...plugs, wires, air filter. Really, if you stand outside your car and it doesn't have the unburnt gas smell, you'll probably be ok. I just went for inspection yesterday with all my mods below and passed with flying colors. My car has 125,000miles.

The inspection is cool too, 'cause they throw it on a dyno. too bad they don't give you hp/torque figures. The guy who dyno my car said 'I don't like Probes but, yours is cool'. That's funny 'cause he didn't get to drive it with my PRofec B turned on!:D

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
As long at the Catalytic converter is good, and your car is in good running condition, there isn't much you should worry about.
But a fresh oil change and new plugs won't hurt!
I've got over 203k miles, and I'm not worried about emissions here in PA. Of course, I had to replace the Catalytic converter about two years ago, but that was only $130, but otherwise, Ive just made sure I had a fresh tank of the proper fuel (87 octane), new plugs, and a fresh oil change, and I've passed with flying colors.

·
Registered
897 Posts
That reminds me...I about tore someone's head off at the inspection place when I had my Prelude. It was a 5 speed. The guy obviously couldn't drive a manual. He ground it into gears, and I "crossed the yellow line" several times.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
people actually get paid to do this!

Illswyn said:
The guy obviously couldn't drive a manual. He ground it into gears,
I thought it was pretty hilarious when the fellow trying to do the E-test on my beater Mustang not only GRRRRRRRRROUND into gear several times, but also stunk the joint up with ClutchStink. That wasn't the hilarious part -- that didn't come until he put the front wheels on the rollers!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Re: people actually get paid to do this!

SleepCounter said:
That wasn't the hilarious part -- that didn't come until he put the front wheels on the rollers!:rolleyes:
Hah, ha ..........
Yeah, it makes you begin to wonder how they got their certification to even be doing the tests. And to think, people actually allow these jokers to change their oil !
Imagine that if you would slip these guys a few bucks to save them the hassle, they would be off smokin' the next break.

·
Registered
78 Posts
this trick never fails..

i pass down a ghetto seceret that always works for me in washington.. we have to take the emmisions test every two years.. here how it works...

go to the D.O.L. or where ever you get your tabs... find the one in the ghetto (that way they understand) you tell them that your in the middle of doing an engine rebuild, but unfortunatly you dont have a garage or a drive way so your doing it in the street... well you dont' want to get a ticket for not having updated tabs while parked on the street, but you cant exactly drive it down to get it tested without an engine in it...

this worked for me twice.. you just have to find the most ghetto person to help you, ya know the guy who's used to rebuilding engines on his front lawn... he'll understand...

but when this saves your a** i get the credit :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts