Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just interested to know if any of the group has or has had a turbo charged 2.5 MX6 as opposed to the 4.

if yes are there any links and or info to what you have done.

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
I'm thinking of building a custom turbo system on my car. It's 2.5 V6 but it still is more an idea than done.
Mici

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
EF MAX said:
Just interested to know if any of the group has or has had a turbo charged 2.5 MX6 as opposed to the 4.

if yes are there any links and or info to what you have done.

are they making a turbo for the 2.0L now???

·
Registered
479 Posts
/me Raises hand...

you can read up and see all the pics on my website, http://www.probesnw.net/bigprobe/index.htm

but the short of it is,
Garrett T3 Super 60 turbo
SPEARCO Front Mount Intercooler
3" mandrel bent exhaust (including cat)
stock exhaust manifolds

I start to build bewst by aboot 2500 and can hit full boozt (7.5-8) by around 3000...

So far my best dyno is 235hp and 251tq at the wheels, while my best 1/4 mile is [email protected] mph, 2.19 60ft, [email protected] 1/8th mile. I race full interior (minus spare and jack, which I dont even own :( ), Street tires (Potenza RE940s, stock size of 225/50/16 22psiF 45psiR)and stock suspension w/ rubber block inserts in the rears. That particular run, had I not spun at the end of 2nd gear, I am sure I could have hit 13.5-ish. But, Shoulda-woulda-coulda..thats what I ran. My turbo system was completely custom built at http://www.turbotechnologyinc.com , and unfortunately, they dont offer "kits".

HTH

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
wow... that makes me optimistic...i was hoping for mid 14s but i guess ill try for the 13 second club... but im still not sure if i can even pull 250HP...

i need to get my fuel system and tranny in order and then ill dyno...i already promised Mike94PGT first results.

·
Registered
135 Posts
wait... stage36, how much HP are you putting out now? i was considering a turbo... or possibly a FS-ZE for my car... but i dont know which would be cheaper/more effective. from what i hear, the FS-ZE would be the way to go, money wise... but i have yet to see ANY probe or MX6 running a FS-ZE...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Stage36 said:
wow... that makes me optimistic...i was hoping for mid 14s but i guess ill try for the 13 second club... but im still not sure if i can even pull 250HP...

i need to get my fuel system and tranny in order and then ill dyno...i already promised Mike94PGT first results.
without knowing what you have done internally to your 2L, I would think you should have no problem getting to about 180-190whp...not quite sure if thats 13s territory, but with practice, who knows.. :)

G

·
My older brother's 91 Protege GT has the KL-ZE swap.....and is making around 210HP, and hit 13.78 pass, but has no turbo.....just muffler, Kazz limited Slip diff like stage/level 2, 2.5 or 3inch piping and a new muffler(euro style, twin tip) and a custom cold airintake. He is currently waiting to get outta college to buy a 93+ RX-7 :)

2.5MX-6

·
Registered
257 Posts
hey Darin, what else have you done to the motor? did u do any porting or t/b work?

L8R
Nick

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
4banger93 said:
wait... stage36, how much HP are you putting out now? i was considering a turbo... or possibly a FS-ZE for my car... but i dont know which would be cheaper/more effective. from what i hear, the FS-ZE would be the way to go, money wise... but i have yet to see ANY probe or MX6 running a FS-ZE...
im not sure...im hoping for 250 but i need to get my fuel system straightened out. as for my mods i have +.040", 11:1 full head mods. basically all the stage 3 parts with stage 4 moly rods and stage 2 cams. you can see the specs in a thread entitled 'HELP!!!' started by guido i think...

·
Registered
479 Posts
BLUMX6 said:
hey Darin, what else have you done to the motor? did u do any porting or t/b work?

L8R
Nick
I removed the vris, did some knife-edging and polishing...thats aboot it. the motor is stock.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Darin,

I get the feeling this is a big secret, but how much did you spend on that turbo? you seem to have one of the most successful setups in the community and I'm very curious

·
Registered
479 Posts
actually, Andrew Brownsword, Mike P, and Allan Wong have been boosting longer...there are a few others as well, who have been under positive pressure for years. I have only been doing it aboot 6 months, so am not sure what you mean buy "successful". As far as HP, I am competitive w/ 235whp, most boosted (internally stock) kl03s are between 210-240whp. But Mike P has had something like 270ft/lbs compared to my 251, and I am unsure of Andrew's tq #s. Once again, Allan (with forged pistons/rods) is way off the scale w/ nearly 300whp and 300ft lbs. As far as being successful at the track, I am unsure how I compare, as I am unaware of the other turbo guys ever running. I am sure Allan ran his 626 to 13.7 however, so that puts me in the hunt. Its just hard to compare #s as we all use dif turbos, etc. I WILL put the design and quality of the kit on my car up against ANYONE however, as I am sure its right near the top in that aspect. (welds, layout, easy to maintain).

To answer your price question, I paid Turbonetics $667.20 for the TURBO. :) and a bunch more for the complete install. The shop tells me to tell people to budget close to $5,000 for the finished job. (hardware, labor - NO guages, NO msd, NO electronics). But that DOES include dyno-tuning on a wide band AF guage, temp guages, FP guage, etc. AND great costomer support (which really wounldnt do any good to someone outside the greater Tacoma area).

Hope that clears things up...

Darin

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Darin, you boosthead ;), I have to say that I've been checking out your progress on this turbo stuff and I have to say that your car has the sweetest setup I've seen over the internet. If I just could get those parts for my car....
Anywayz, I'm dreaming of getting to this boosthead club but in Finland (yeah, that's where I am!) it is hard to get anything for this car. Anywayz since turbo is pretty much custom job, maybe someday I have the fastest sixer in Finland...
Keep up the good work bro!
Mici boost :freak:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I've been following Darin's turbo setup for a while now. And I must say that his setup has got to be the cleanest, most proffessionally done job out there. I also love the fact that the car is a total sleeper. From the ourside, it looks like a stock PGT. I'm wondering, however, how a good set of slicks and an LSD would do to his times.

Lotsa props Darin. Keep it up, hope to see your car in person one day.... and umm... maybe take it for a spin... })

1 - 15 of 15 Posts