Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some how when it rains the section of the trunk that the spare is in gets soaked with water, almost a pudle. anyone have this trouble before?

·
Registered
579 Posts
check the wheel well, and the spot where the center of the spoiler joins the trunk lid (if you have a spoiler)

G

·
Actually I read about it here on another thread so I went home and checked. Sure enough, it had about an inch of water in it.

Take out the tire, jack, everything. Lift up the carpet in the middle just a little. Stick your hand through the hole in the carpet, and a little to the right on the bottom of the spare wheel well you'll find a little rubber plug. Pull it out (or push it, I can't remember which way it goes in). Anyways, all the water will come out. To make sure it completely drains, sit on either corner of your car to 'slosh' the remaining water out. Dry out the well with a rag or something and put it all back together again.

Check it again in a year. I think this is fairly common on alot of cars. I took a look at a 2-door '92 Accord and the spare tire well had -many- inches of water in it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks alot for the tip. ill see if there is a plug. then ill just leave it open so it can drain by itself...but have you heard of anyway to fix the problem im worried that it will eventually rust out the trunk. plus i smell mold every time i open the trunk. ive been using a wet/dry wack after every time it rains....its getting to be a pain.

G

·
Well, when I checked mine (its a '97) looking for rust, I noticed the inside of that well is spray coated with some sort of rubber or plastic, hence preventing the rust. I'm not sure exactly how you'd prevent the water from accumulating there. I think its partially spray coming up from under the car, and secondly it could be the accumulation of condensation.

What you might want to try is getting a couple rubber or plastic washers and a nut and bolt big enough to replace that rubber plug. If the 'pooling' is caused by spray leaking up and through the plug, this should solve the problem. Be sure to use non-metal washers though, as they'll seal better and they won't promote rusting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you've got a puddle of water under the spare tire it's not from a leaking plug. Here's where you should check for leaks:

- trunk lid gasket
- spoiler attachment holes
- tail light gaskets (do MX-6s have these?)
- antenna drain

I'm not familar with Mazdas because all my previous cars were Hondas but here's what I've found:
In my Acura I had a problem with water leaking into the side pockets in the trunk and the spare tire area. This was due to a leaking tail light gasket. Also on the Acura, on the bottom of the antenna there is a tube which drains water that gets into the motor assembly through the antenna mast. If the MX-6 has this too then I'd make sure it can drain properly (the hole isn't plugged).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts