Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

I am just wondering if anyone here done the conversion on the 1st gen by installing the 2nd gen engine in it and possibly make it twin turbo?

since the 2l GT twin cam engines are kinda rare to get I was actually thinking oneday in the next couple of years I get meself the 2.5 litre engine and install it on my 1st gen, so thought I ask if anyone done it and have pics and what are the performance specs.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts

cam22t did it when he was swapping the engines between hsi tx5/626's

just a trial mount really. he could awnser s few mroe questions im sure :p

i thought about this aswell but performance out of the KLDE/03/ZE is kinda hard to get from what i can gather.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Also, from what i can gather / read before, space needed to clear the manifolds/turbo's is very limited and personaly havent seen a twin turbo v6 ->IN<- a 2nd gen mx6.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
The conversion is feasible.

An adaptor plate for the gearbox would save a few hassles. Mounts, cv's, speedo drive etc.

Wiring wise, the KL is fairly in depth, but not impossible to wire in. Or standalone is another option.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks boys, ahh man cam22t is the brain man....he's been there done that....awesome...its great to have craig in here, what a legend......

so it is possible, well in a few years time I see if that can happen to me, and gotta make sure if I can have it turboed or something.....damn that looks good in the 1st gen......

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cam22t...well his name is craig isnt it? well I am sure everyone except me is a brain here.....loooooooolwell I think I am so lucky to be a member in this forum really...

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I was recently looking for a Wagon either the GV or GW with a KL-ZE.
I found one Gv1025 but it was not pissible to import.
The GW is a different frame, so it would be hard to pass over onto a GD compared with the GV. But I have found many GW's.

It's a very possible to do. Twin turbo. a little harder.

But with the amount of Engine swaps and conversion I seen. Playing around with Factory ECU's is a Cheap arse mans' why and the way I see many people go who never finish a project or end up with same old nugget.

Reactions: 91gd626turbo

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha yeah i see...it is possible but aint easy, so somepeople leave the project unfinished...well I always had this thought that making it twin turbo aint gonna be as easy ans just converting it. one problem with that is the space as the 2.5l engine is bigger but perhaps with a bit of moding under the hood it would be possible to put the twin turbo's on, as nothing is impossible.

ECU part of it, probably it could be a bit of pain in the arse' though....but yeah, the point is that its possible and money do it all for you...

rodhog, i left you a karma mate, thanks for the info buddy...you certainly know heaps mate...

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
since the klze is the one out of the eunos 800 ya? does that mean the 2.3litre supercharged engine in my mums car is putable into a 2nd gen?
or more interestingly into a eunos 30x? :p

thatd be kool
does a 2nd gen gearbox mate straight to the miller cycle engine? can it handle the extra torque?

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
From what i understand, all the K series engine are built on the same platform. I believe everything bolts over and on the wiring side of things, its mostly a matter of changing rhe engine loom with the engine. Plug in and play.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
yeah the more I find things for the KF I find similar to the KL and K8.

as for the 2.3L yeah I would think so,

Problem is with the Millercycle is ECU controls it. I know for fact when it older models now start to experience failures of switches and similar it goes bannans. I mean if you think one of the K series VRIS system not working is bad, Ha I've seen pour overfuel.

If oyu do run it on a Full aftermarket ECU to removed the Automatic transmission I think it would run straight supercharged style and remove some of the plumbing for the exhaust gas. But it's one thing I always wondered.

how would a simple Supercharger of a toyota like a 1GG motor it's 2L and used on the 3.8L V6 buick - has proven good performance ofr a budget. On a 2.5KL or 2.0L KF.
in fact on the KF it's the same size as the inline 6 toyota.

One thing turbo would do is provide the nice midrange. But I find it's more the bottom end to mid range that needs a fill. Supercharger that is locked on fro mabout 1200rpm now that would be a hole filler.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts