Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i drove the dodge caliber yesterday, first cvt vehicle i've driven. it was weird how the rpms go up and stay steady while the car slowly accelerates. and for u guys who know a little about torque converters and their lock up speeds, it locks up the tc at 12mph!!

ps.

the caliber is slow as hell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got one as a rental car a few weeks ago, it's a dog .....seems like the RPMs are up there but your not going anywere mpg was'nt all that either.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
the SRT4 caliber is going to be killer. 300hp!

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
i have a friend that has a CVT Murano. That thing is actually fairly quick. It was funny racing him at the track, because i could hear him (behind me :D ) just reving the crap out of that thing and it would stay high until the end. lol.

one of the other guys he raced that night commented to him afterward, "Dude, i was wondering what was going on. haha. i kept thinking, 'Is this guy EVER going to SHIFT?!'"

:lol:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it sounds like the trans is slipping its life away,

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
dsr30 said:
it sounds like the trans is slipping its life away,
And there is the beauty of it.

Despite what lots of people think, the fastest way from a > b is at the gear ratio that the engine generates peak power at. With a CVT, you can be at that ratio all the way down the track.

Sounds kinda weird, but goes like stink.

If you can get the thing to handle gobs of torque (like the torotrak people claim to be able to do) then you have the ultimate drag racing transmission.

Current fast drag racing transmission designs act largely like CVTs anyways by having loose torque converters or purpose built slipping clutchpacks; but those solutions waste a lot of energy in heat that could be getting you down the track faster.

Because it is difficult to build one for a reasonable price that can handle significant torque, they'll continue to be used mostly in premium oddities like Muranos and POS shitboxes like Calibers.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
i'll take a 2 speed tornado transmission tyvm :D

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
i was told by our radion stations test driver, that he prefers the malibu maxx ss over the caliber he's testing out now this week :lol:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
skiingman said:
And there is the beauty of it.

Despite what lots of people think, the fastest way from a > b is at the gear ratio that the engine generates peak power at. With a CVT, you can be at that ratio all the way down the track.

Sounds kinda weird, but goes like stink.

If you can get the thing to handle gobs of torque (like the torotrak people claim to be able to do) then you have the ultimate drag racing transmission.

Current fast drag racing transmission designs act largely like CVTs anyways by having loose torque converters or purpose built slipping clutchpacks; but those solutions waste a lot of energy in heat that could be getting you down the track faster.

Because it is difficult to build one for a reasonable price that can handle significant torque, they'll continue to be used mostly in premium oddities like Muranos and POS [shizzle]boxes like Calibers.
if only they could do that the cvt would be perfect.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
excuse my noobness but what is CVT

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
vrouv06 said:
excuse my noobness but what is CVT
continuously variable transmission, it uses a metal belt and two variable "pulleys" instead of gears to acheive gear ratios.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
wtf?....whats the advantage to that? It sounds like a horrible idea.

Reactions: zythum24

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Its already been explained in this thread...try reading it.

BTW: I guarantee everyone here has driven a vehicle with a CVT at some point. Unless you've never driven a go-kart.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Oops. I had this posted in the SLK thread...wtf? Here it is..

Advantages, from here
-continuously changing reduction ratio, which keeps the engine work in optimum rate;
-great decreasing of fuel consumption;
-smooth and impact less transmission of power to the driving wheels;
-maximum utilization of power because there is no need of temporary decoupling of the engine and the transmission for changing from one gear to another;
-less dangeroussubstances in output gases and less contamination of environment.
-safe and pleasant driving as the driver is concentrated on the road conditions and does not distract his attention for shifting.
Although it seems he is selling it to his audience.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
......does not distract his attention for shifting.....anyone who knows how to drive stick shift is definatly not distracted with shifting. It just becomes second nature. I personally tweet out when I drive automatics. I start looking for a clutch and always have my hand on the shifter.
I personally dont like the sound of this CVT thing and dont think it will catch on. I also dont think if the Dodge Caliper is as slow as dsr30 says it wont last very long.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I heard it was really slow. A guy I work with said he met some guy on the road with one and asked him how he liked it and the guy said he hated it.

vrouv, I agree with you completely about the shifting.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
remember guys, the Caliber replaced the Neon, and the base is a 130 or so hp model. The R/T is 190hp and AWD, the SRT4 is going to be a 300hp monster.....

kind of like saying that you bought a base corolla dx expecting to pull 14's :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts