Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Anyone ever race a sentra/200sx SE-R before?

7K views 84 replies 17 participants last post by  Stage36 
#1 ·
I was wondering what are some of your experiences racing them? As you can see I've just joined the club and my sister has a 94 mx6 V6 5spd. The only power mod in my car is a weapon r intake (POS). While her car has a custom CAI. We raced each other several times from roll ons. Her car is faster than mine in 4th gear. However my car is quicker in 1st adn 2nd gear, 3rd is about even. we did rollons starting at 20, 40, 60. I was wondering what some of you guys ET/traps were? Also at what rpm is the rev limiter in that car? She missed a shift and it reved to 7500rpm on the tach without hitting fuel cut!

#2 ·
Iv raced many a nissan in my first gen. dx pile of crap, and let me tell you nissans are pathetic. The most difficult race which wasnt even that difficult was a 240XS (its a 240SX except its a convertable) I hate nissan, they have never made a good car in their life, and they never will.

#3 ·
Nismo87SE said:
I was wondering what are some of your experiences racing them? As you can see I've just joined the club and my sister has a 94 mx6 V6 5spd. The only power mod in my car is a weapon r intake (POS). While her car has a custom CAI. We raced each other several times from roll ons. Her car is faster than mine in 4th gear. However my car is quicker in 1st adn 2nd gear, 3rd is about even. we did rollons starting at 20, 40, 60. I was wondering what some of you guys ET/traps were? Also at what rpm is the rev limiter in that car? She missed a shift and it reved to 7500rpm on the tach without hitting fuel cut!
If you're running 15.959@86.52, she should be beating you in the quarter-mile. It's hard to compare two cars with a roll-on test because while some cars might be geared very short (esp in 1st, 2nd etc) and appear to leave the other car standing, the first runs out of RPM and has to shift while the 2nd still has a ways to go on the tach and doesn't suffer the penalty of an "early" shift, thus catching up. This is especially true when both cars have a fairly lofty redline, as in this case. A more realistic test is to use as many gears as possible, from a standing-stop, to gauge how each car performs in relation to the other.

The SE-R is giving up about 24HP to the V6 but weighs only about 2600 lbs to the MX6s 2800. The power/weight of the MX6 is 17.1 lbs/hp and the SE-Rs is 18.6 lbs/hp. They're pretty close. The July/1991 Road & Track had the SE-R do 0-60 in 8.1-sec and the quarter in 16.2@87. Motor Trend had a quicker example, turning a 7.4-sec 0-60 and 15.8@87. Nissan's own numbers were 7.8-sec and 16.2@86 respectively.

The V6 MX6 is typically in the 7.2 to 7.4-sec 0-60 range and maybe 15.5@89. A bit quicker, but close enough the driver would probably make the difference in the "real world".

The V6 is limited by a fuel-cut at 7500RPM. The tachometer reads optimistically in this car and will probably indicate upwards of 8000RPM before the rev-limiter kicks in. Keep in mind that the PCME (computer) is getting RPM information every 60-degrees of crankshaft information from the crankshaft position sensor and is reading the RPM very, very accurately and is really cutting fuel at 7500RPM. The tach, on the other hand, is an analog integrator using the frequency of the ignition coil firing as it's reference. It's purposely calibrated to read high to save Mazda (and Ford with the Probe GT) litigation from people who blow their motors and claim the tach read low.

#4 ·
YZF-R1 said:
I hate nissan, they have never made a good car in their life, and they never will.
have none of you heard of a skyline? Jeez.

oh and i beat a sentra in my dads conversion van. he had a body kit and a wing. im not sure about the performance mods.

#6 ·
SAY WHAT!?!?!?! ooooh oooooh ooooh im selling my MX-6!!!

JUST KIDDING. why would i do something like that??? ill just buy one for a daily driver. so is that gonna be like the R35? R36?

#7 ·
My last car was a 91 Sentra SE-R, and it was very fast. I loved that car, but it got wrecked so then I bought my MX-6. They're great little cars, and to anyone that dogs them just check out what SCC did to their project SE-R's. They have a lot of potential and the after market is starting to see that. I just wish I still had mine so that I'd have two sleepers. I use to love beating ricers and V8's in my Sentra.

#9 ·
Originally posted by Mike 94PGT
If you're running 15.959@86.52, she should be beating you in the quarter-mile. It's hard to compare two cars with a roll-on test because while some cars might be geared very short (esp in 1st, 2nd etc) and appear to leave the other car standing, the first runs out of RPM and has to shift while the 2nd still has a ways to go on the tach and doesn't suffer the penalty of an "early" shift, thus catching up. This is especially true when both cars have a fairly lofty redline, as in this case. A more realistic test is to use as many gears as possible, from a standing-stop, to gauge how each car performs in relation to the other.

The SE-R is giving up about 24HP to the V6 but weighs only about 2600 lbs to the MX6s 2800. The power/weight of the MX6 is 17.1 lbs/hp and the SE-Rs is 18.6 lbs/hp. They're pretty close. The July/1991 Road & Track had the SE-R do 0-60 in 8.1-sec and the quarter in 16.2@87. Motor Trend had a quicker example, turning a 7.4-sec 0-60 and 15.8@87. Nissan's own numbers were 7.8-sec and 16.2@86 respectively.

The V6 MX6 is typically in the 7.2 to 7.4-sec 0-60 range and maybe 15.5@89. A bit quicker, but close enough the driver would probably make the difference in the "real world".

The V6 is limited by a fuel-cut at 7500RPM. The tachometer reads optimistically in this car and will probably indicate upwards of 8000RPM before the rev-limiter kicks in. Keep in mind that the PCME (computer) is getting RPM information every 60-degrees of crankshaft information from the crankshaft position sensor and is reading the RPM very, very accurately and is really cutting fuel at 7500RPM. The tach, on the other hand, is an analog integrator using the frequency of the ignition coil firing as it's reference. It's purposely calibrated to read high to save Mazda (and Ford with the Probe GT) litigation from people who blow their motors and claim the tach read low.

[/B]

I know for a fact that if my sister and I did a standing start 1/4 run she would catch me right at the finish. She doesn't really know how to drive the car to its full potential. Where as I know exactly how to drive my car to a good time. Her car would have a higher trapspeed but she can't launch as good as I can. The clutch in her car is pretty old at 130k and I have an ACT with 1k ;). As I said before during our rollons my car would creep away below 60mph. From 60-80mph our cars are even, after 80mph (on my speedo) that is when her car comes and passes me. For example at a rollon at 20mph, 1st gear I'm 3/4 car infront. In 2nd gear it grows to 1 car, in 3rd gear I stop pulling. As soon as I shift from 3-4 (around 80-85mph) her car pulls on me. So by the time I hit 90-95mph her car is about 1-1.5 cars ahead. One day I'll get her to goto the track to see what she gets.

#10 ·
Nismo87SE said:
I know for a fact that if my sister and I did a standing start 1/4 run she would catch me right at the finish. She doesn't really know how to drive the car to its full potential. Where as I know exactly how to drive my car to a good time. Her car would have a higher trapspeed but she can't launch as good as I can. The clutch in her car is pretty old at 130k and I have an ACT with 1k ;). As I said before during our rollons my car would creep away below 60mph. From 60-80mph our cars are even, after 80mph (on my speedo) that is when her car comes and passes me. For example at a rollon at 20mph, 1st gear I'm 3/4 car infront. In 2nd gear it grows to 1 car, in 3rd gear I stop pulling. As soon as I shift from 3-4 (around 80-85mph) her car pulls on me. So by the time I hit 90-95mph her car is about 1-1.5 cars ahead. One day I'll get her to goto the track to see what she gets.
I think with equal drivers, the MX6 will be faster outright, assuming both cars are in similar mechanical shape (i.e. no slipping or mushy clutches allowed.)

When you say "...during our rollons my car would creep away below 60mph", you are implying that the SE-R is faster to 60 than the V6 MX6, which I don't believe to be true if both cars are in good shape, all else being equal. Your sisters car has 130,000 miles on it and, perhaps, isn't a prime example of what an MX6 should be able to do, especially with the poor clutch in it. Maybe it's a bit down on compression or has a higher leakage rate than a lower-mileage specimen. How do you fare against other MX6s and Probe GTs in the "Stoplight 500"?

Regardless, the two cars will be fairly close to one another, and with just a few 10ths difference to 60, the driver will probably make the difference.

#11 ·
Mike 94PGT said:
I think with equal drivers, the MX6 will be faster outright, assuming both cars are in similar mechanical shape (i.e. no slipping or mushy clutches allowed.)

When you say "...during our rollons my car would creep away below 60mph", you are implying that the SE-R is faster to 60 than the V6 MX6, which I don't believe to be true if both cars are in good shape, all else being equal. Your sisters car has 130,000 miles on it and, perhaps, isn't a prime example of what an MX6 should be able to do, especially with the poor clutch in it. Maybe it's a bit down on compression or has a higher leakage rate than a lower-mileage specimen. How do you fare against other MX6s and Probe GTs in the "Stoplight 500"?

Regardless, the two cars will be fairly close to one another, and with just a few 10ths difference to 60, the driver will probably make the difference.
I know for a fact that if she was an equal driver to me I would lose no question. However during the race it seems that she shifts about the same time as I do. My 1st gear goes to 35-37mph, 2nd gear I shift around 60mph, 3rd runs from 85mph. I don't think she is shifting high enough in the 6 to take advantage. Even if she was shifting at redline thats about 6700-6800 right, so she will be out of the powerband in 2nd gear. Thus the reason why my car pulls that extra 1/2-1/4 carlength. Since she is out of the powerband, she is playing catch up and it isnt until around 85mph on my speedo that she passes me. I haven't raced anyother GT's or MX6's, I've kept an eye out for them but I haven't seen any that want to run. She has an unfair advantage of the CAI vs my underhood intake. Before the CAI I built for her we had the cone filter on the VAF. I knew killed her power, so my car was able to pull her's no prob. Now she has a CAI and I have a HAI (hot air intake), the CAI is also good for 5-9fwhp in the se-r's. So after I do the CAI we will be even, then it comes down to a battle of drivers ;).

#12 ·
Nismo87SE said:
I know for a fact that if she was an equal driver to me I would lose no question. However during the race it seems that she shifts about the same time as I do. My 1st gear goes to 35-37mph, 2nd gear I shift around 60mph, 3rd runs from 85mph. I don't think she is shifting high enough in the 6 to take advantage. Even if she was shifting at redline thats about 6700-6800 right, so she will be out of the powerband in 2nd gear.
Yes, the 1st-2nd gear gap in the MX6 is quite large. 1st is 3.307:1 and 2nd is 1.833:1. This means that even if she shifts at redline (7000RPM), the tach will fall to about 3880RPM, which is quite far off the 5500-6000RPM power peak. If she's brave and if she trusts the engine internals, the engine should be spun to as close to the rev-limiter (7500RPM) as possible in 1st gear during a race so that the engine falls to a more advantageous RPM when shifted into 2nd (i.e. 4157 RPM). It's not much, but it's a few precious foot-pounds more torque out of the box.

After that 1st-2nd shift, redline or close-to-redline shifts are fine.

Before the CAI I built for her we had the cone filter on the VAF. I knew killed her power, so my car was able to pull her's no prob. Now she has a CAI and I have a HAI (hot air intake), the CAI is also good for 5-9fwhp in the se-r's. So after I do the CAI we will be even, then it comes down to a battle of drivers ;).
Yep. Cone filter on the VAF isn't too bad in winter, at least in the Great White North, but in the summer or in warm climes, the hot air from the cooling fan really hurts charge density and thus power. A Hosthot or PRM CAI on a V6 PGT or MX6 is good for 3-5 front-wheel HP. Not much, but it's noticeable.

Remember, she's still got that porridge clutch, so it won't be quite fair. If she has to baby each shift so the clutch doesn't vaporize, then she won't be beating you :D

G
#13 ·
even match

se-r's are rather speedy and would give an mx-6 a good match...also the SE-R has LSD so its tight around the corners....o yeah YZF-R1.. you dont know wut the hell you are talkin bout to make such a 'ricer' statement..

peace

#14 ·
Actually i do know what im talking about

What the hell is a ricer comment? All i said is nissan has never made a good car in their life. Im lookin at supercars.net right now and im looking at the Skyline. With that car your paying $85,000 for 276 horses, no torque, a wopping 13 second quarter, and and a blistering top speed of 111 mph. Yeah thats definately worth my 85 grand.

Maybe you werent talking about the skyline. Maybe you were talking about the 300Z. WOW a 15 SEC. 1/4!!!!!! Thats almost CRX TERRITORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then whats up with their trucks and suvs. The pathfinder is putting more power to the ground NORMALLY ASPIRATED than the blown frontier p.o.s. What the hell is nissans problem?

#15 ·
211 lb/ft. is no torque??? what are you running again? and the 300zx does a 13.9 by the way. oh and about the 111 MPH top speed...may i remind you that thats a GOVERNED speed. removing it makes the R34 capable of 150+...easily. and i have nothing to say about their trucks/SUV's

[Edited by JspecMX-6 on 01-04-2001 at 10:02 PM]

#17 ·
JspecMX-6 said:
Oh and i beat a sentra in my dads conversion van. he had a body kit and a wing. im not sure about the performance mods. [/B]
HAHAHAHAHA!!! That is priceless! :D :D :D What kind of van is it? *was amazed to hear that GM developed an 8.1 liter V8 for its full-size trucks and vans*

#18 ·
Re: Actually i do know what im talking about

YZF-R1 said:
What the hell is a ricer comment? All i said is nissan has never made a good car in their life. Im lookin at supercars.net right now and im looking at the Skyline. With that car your paying $85,000 for 276 horses, no torque, a wopping 13 second quarter, and and a blistering top speed of 111 mph. Yeah thats definately worth my 85 grand.

Maybe you werent talking about the skyline. Maybe you were talking about the 300Z. WOW a 15 SEC. 1/4!!!!!! Thats almost CRX TERRITORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then whats up with their trucks and suvs. The pathfinder is putting more power to the ground NORMALLY ASPIRATED than the blown frontier p.o.s. What the hell is nissans problem?
Well first off the Skyline is under rated at 280hp because the japanese manufactors have an agreement not to exceed that power level. Also the skylines are $55k for the top of the line GT-R Vspec. MotoRex rapes buyers by charging $30-40k over what they sell for in japan. Secondly that skyline that was tested wasn't the GT-R Vspec, it was just the GT-R. The skyline puts down around 290lb-ft and that is more torque than a 4.6 mustang GT engine. The 300zx in NA trim was a mid 15 sec car, the twin turbo model is a low 14 sec car. The 88-91 honda CRX with the 1.6 D16 engine was a mid-high 16 sec car with a 0-60 of 8.5+ at best. Do you realise that the pathfinder engien is a DOHC 3.5liter and is a totally different engine than the SOHC 3.3 in the fronteir. The DOHC engine makes more power/torque because its higher compression and has a way higher advanced engine. The frontier engine nissan just took one of its widely used engines and put on a supercharger for more lowend torque. Now the 3.5L in the pathfinder is the
VQ35DE which features:
Microfinished crankshafts and camshafts and moly coated pistons. Fifty percent of internal components. redesigned

Examples:
-Reworked
camshaft
-Variable
induction
system
-Composite
plastic
intake
runners
Now the VG33E features this: The work horse of Nissan V-6 engines. Used in just about everything. Still continues duty today in the Frontier, Xterra, and Quest.

This engine has been phased out in Pathfinder and QX4 beginning in 2001.

For 2001, the Frontier gets a SC (Super-
charged) model powered by a factory installed Eaton Supercharger.
As you can see they are 2 very different engines. Its like comparing the 4.6 DOHC cobra engine to the 4.6 SOHC mustang GT engine.

[Edited by Nismo87SE on 01-05-2001 at 02:01 PM]

#19 ·
the mustangs have an overhead cam??? i didnt know that...oh well, i only like mustangs for their look anyways. and my dads van is an '89 chevy with the 350. i think it has an RV cam in it or something cuz that van has NUTS. people underestimate it all the time. i was driving is while my engine was being built and now i only drive it when i go places with my daughter.

#20 ·
I guess the skyline is kinda nice, its just way too pricey for what it is. Even if it isnt 85k, 55k is still too much for a car like that. Just like the nsx, its expencive as hell, and kinda fast. For that kinda money, i want blistering performance, not mustang performance. I just saw a pic of the next model, the R35 in my car and driver, and well it looks alright. Too ricey for me, and still to damn expencive for what it is. Anyway, i still hate nissan, always have always will. ESPECIALLY those god forsaken frontiers. Those pieces of shite make my blood boil.

#21 ·
dont the pathfinders have the most HP in their class? where else can you find a car for 55K that does a 13 sec 1/4 mi.? the 2001 corvette Z06 is the skyline's only competitor

#22 ·
By law in Japan, no manufatured car is permited to have over 276HP. That is way many of their supercars ALL have listed horsepower of 276. Torque.... I'm not sure.

The Skyline is a beast. Spend $85,000 put another $15,000 in it and you have a 9 sec 1/4 street legal car.

That is not BS either.

The 111 topspeed is limited.

To put it simple DONT EVER MESS WITH A SKYLINE

#23 ·
I have friends that have pushed their camaros into the 12s, that is with exhaust and k&n. That would be about 25k for the car and 500 in mods. Compare that to a 55k car that already has any valuble upgrades on it, i.e. the turbos, and still runs less power and torque. Cobra and GT mustangs are easily in the 13s these days. Dodge doest have a muscle car but their dakota R/T (which is a 2 wheel drive with a 360 crammed in it) is completely capable of getting into the 13s. All of these cars are in the 25-32k range. They are faster and about 30k cheaper than the skyline. Lets not forget the Ford lightning. That is a full size truck well into the 13s, and it costs about 32k. There are plenty of vehicles out there thatl whip that little skyline at the strip, FOR 30K LESS!!!!!! THe ZO6 is NOT the only car in the same class. Fact is there are muscle cars, mid size and full size pickups in the same class for 30 grand less.

#24 ·
Your saying that 15 grand in mods on a 55 grand car will get you into the 9s. I have seen GMC syclones at the strip with nothing more than a higher output turbo pull off 10s. If you dont belive me i can post the videos. That would be about 20 grand for the truck, probably less if they bought it recently, and maybe 5 for the turbo. thats compared to your 70,000 dollar machine that does the same thing. hmmm 25k or 70k. Nissan is ripping people off.

#25 ·
YZF-R1 said:
I have friends that have pushed their camaros into the 12s, that is with exhaust and k&n. That would be about 25k for the car and 500 in mods. Compare that to a 55k car that already has any valuble upgrades on it, i.e. the turbos, and still runs less power and torque. Cobra and GT mustangs are easily in the 13s these days. Dodge doest have a muscle car but their dakota R/T (which is a 2 wheel drive with a 360 crammed in it) is completely capable of getting into the 13s. All of these cars are in the 25-32k range. They are faster and about 30k cheaper than the skyline. Lets not forget the Ford lightning. That is a full size truck well into the 13s, and it costs about 32k. There are plenty of vehicles out there thatl whip that little skyline at the strip, FOR 30K LESS!!!!!! THe ZO6 is NOT the only car in the same class. Fact is there are muscle cars, mid size and full size pickups in the same class for 30 grand less.

umm first, if you live in NM or anywhere where the atmospheric pressure is less than 1 ATM, you wont be pushing ANY camaro into the 12's with just an exhaust and filter.

Cobra mustangs are easily in the 13's. i disagree about the GT's. the do a 16.0 stock. thats slower than the V6 MX-6.

" Dodge doest have a muscle car but their dakota R/T (which is a 2 wheel drive with a 360 crammed in it) is completely capable of getting into the 13s." DID I HEAR THAT RIGHT??? did you just say dodge doesnt make a muscle car??? ever heard of a Viper? is a viper not classified as a muscle car? is it an SUV?

when you dont do your homework, you lose credibility. and an MX-6 is just as capable of getting into the 13's as your dakota R/T. people dont buy skylines for their value. if everone bought for value, we would all be driving peugots and yugos. but were not in europe, and wether nissan is ripping people off or not, theyre making plenty of money.
skylines are selling too so the buyers must not think theyre being ripped off. if they werent selling, they would be in the same boat as the MX-6...discontinued.

#26 ·
I can already see where this is heading. There is more to a car's total character than just its straight line acceleration. After all why buy a camaro when you can get a fox body stang into the 11's with just $3k on top of its $2500-5000 selling price? The point is that car's like the NSX, skyline, BMW's, porsches are better handling cars. Well put it this way if $500 in mods to a camaro gets it into the 12's. Do you think $500 in mods would get the camaro to drop 1 second in laptime on a road coarse? The F-body represents the best bang for the buck in performance. It runs 13 sec 1/4's, when equiped with the 1LE package. It can/will beat cars like the M3/S2000/Boxter S at the road course. But again if you were to put a bone stock camaro against cars like the NSX, skyline, 911TT, C5, viper, supra, etc. On a road course like buttonwillow, lagunea seca, etc.. do you think it would still have the advantage like it did on the drag strip? Along the same lines back in 97 car and driver held a "Best handling car for less than $25k". The cars included was a honda prelude SH, Camaro Z28, Talon TSI AWD, BMW Z3, Ford contour SVT, Mazda miata. In that contest the prelude SH won. Also I have been drag racing and Auto crossing/road racing. I can say 100% that drag racing sucks compared to road racing. You don't really realize how much worse you drive till you hit the road course :(. BTW oversea's they do more than just a 1/4, they do 0-1km (about 3290ft) drag races. While a camaro might beat the *POS* skyline in a 0-400m race the skyline will win the 0-1000m dash.

YZF-R1 said:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.