Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm applying the Lotus concept to my MX-6 and stripping it of everything that isn't related to speed.

I've yanked out all the carpets and discovered there is some gooey gunk glued to the metal in sheets. I imagine this is some sort of sound deadening material?

What's the best way to remove this stuff? Paint thinner & a couple good chisels and scrapers?

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Dry ice, a hammer, and a chisel

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Dry ice? Makes it brittle so it falls apart?

Sounds dangerous...
Easiest way to do it, hands down.

I've done it on 6 of my last 8 cars, and this is the only way that doesn't make you want to punch babies.

Wear some goggles if you're worried about it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, this definitely requires a how-to video documentary if I'm able to get my hands on some dry ice!

Is that 2mm layer of goo really that effective at deadening sound?

I'd rather strip it off, paint the metal, and put some industrial rubber padding here and there. The kind you'd see in a restaurant kitchen with holes for drainage.. or just look here for an example Kitchen Mats: Kushion Safe light

Black rubber with the paint showing through would look bad ass.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
ive seen the dry ice method been done before and it worked great for them just chilled it and hit it with a hammer and broke apart. how much weight loss can actually be achieved from doing this if you were to take it all out of the car including trunk backseat and the floor in the front? anyone have a clue?? was thinking about doing this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its all over the place but it can't possibly be more than 2-3 pounds. I'm not sure if I should just leave it in and get new carpet.

I checked into some of those rubber mats and they weigh more than all the goo, carpet, and insulation ever could. Of course they're like an inch thick and I could possibly scrape them down thinner. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy to see if he has any lightweight rubber mats.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Its all over the place but it can't possibly be more than 2-3 pounds. I'm not sure if I should just leave it in and get new carpet.

I checked into some of those rubber mats and they weigh more than all the goo, carpet, and insulation ever could. Of course they're like an inch thick and I could possibly scrape them down thinner. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy to see if he has any lightweight rubber mats.
Depends on the car. I don't know about these cars, but i got almost 35lbs of the stuff out of my Celica.

Your average Civic will have about 20lbs of it. The stuff is heavier than it looks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the heavier it is, the better, because that's more weight to be lost!

Ok, so I've decided to go ahead and do the dry ice method. Cube or pellet form? How many pounds will I need? Is there a fancy technique for getting it done? Or just take the nancy gloves off and git'r'done you sissy?

Update on the rubber mat issue - I've been chatting with a distributor who sells those industrial mats, he's found a particular mat that is 1/8th inch thick and weighs .66lbs per square foot. A 3'x5' sheet is enough to cover all the driver & front passenger foot area, and you still get a little bit left over to keep the losers in the back from scratching the metal floor, painted or not.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure what color I'm going to paint my MX-6 because that is at least a year away. Originally I wanted to have the floor be the body paint color, but now I'm thinking I'll just grind it down to bare metal, clear coat it, and then throw down the rubber mats with little circles cut out of it in a neat clean grid fashion. Should look industrial, yet refined.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
took it all out of my car with a heatgun and a chisel...

and yes it was not that fun but the net loss was about 25-30lbs...and i left the stuff under the drivers feet to protect the metal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took about 2 square feet out the hard way with just a chisel and a mallet, holy crap that stuff is on there good :) Good way to work out some frustration though, haha. It definitely is heavier than it looks, feels like a pound or so per square foot.

I bought most of the stuff I need to finish the project tonight, still need to get dry ice. I found a place down in Lancaster that sells it.

So, those of you who have done this with dry ice before, how many pounds did you use, and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found a place that sells it fifty cents a pound lol, gonna get some tonight and see if I can get all that crap out of there without freezing the skin off my hands or suffocating in pure carbon dioxide. I'll take pictures!

Then I can grind the paint off, polish up the bare metal and clear coat it, I've got all that stuff ready to go. It's probably not the best clear coat, just a $3 spray can that is good for plastic wicker metal or paint, but whatever, it's a floor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts