Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry folks, but I had some work done to my car and it takes a long time to start now. I think I hear a vacuum leak under the intake manifold? Does anyone have a diagram of the vacuum system? It is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
there's nothing really UNDER the manifold to leak, except the vac chambers themselves.

What kind of work was done?

i'm thinking if they removed the manifold they either forgot to put the hose back on the vac chamber's nipple.. OR... the nipple broke while they were removing it (very common as they get brittle with age, and if you are unfamiliar with the car, etc.)

other possibility, the IM itself isn't mated to the heads properly. if they re-used the old gaskets, its possible. should seal up with some copper RTV though. I'll try and dig up a vac diagram, but in all honesty, everything else is visible.. the vris, purge, and tb lines can all be seen... and there are 3 more on the drivers side of the motor, clearly visible.. you know?

Reactions: gradwell

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had him replace the rear valve cover gasket as all of the vacuum lines and other assorted connections on the intake manifold intimidated me. He also changed the timing belt when he was in there. This guy was referred to me but I think he was a butcher. Half of the plastic parts are now cracked because he cranked down the bolts so much. Is there a way for me to get to the vac chambers without removing the manifold?

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
gradwell said:
I had him replace the rear valve cover gasket as all of the vacuum lines and other assorted connections on the intake manifold intimidated me. He also changed the timing belt when he was in there. This guy was referred to me but I think he was a butcher. Half of the plastic parts are now cracked because he cranked down the bolts so much. Is there a way for me to get to the vac chambers without removing the manifold?
unfortunately, no.

but the IM should be cake - i really doubt he put back the "bitch bolt" - so just undo all the bolts/ nuts that are visible along the front runners, and it should lift up enough for you to reach under and feel if the vac chambers and associated hose are connected.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
good job with that diagram - i hadn't gotten to it yet :)

karma4u!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts