Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
This is a long shot but....I'm passing through Utah -- or at least I was supposed to be, but the '96 mx-6 I'm driving broke down in the SE part of the state and I've been stuck in Panguitch for a few days. The mechanic in town is super nice, but this seems to be turning into something fairly complicated and I may wind up needing to tow out of here to find a shop with some Mazda experience or at least more access to parts and that kind of thing. Does anyone have anyone they'd recommend in the Saint George (maybe SLC if I can find a tow that long) area you've had a good experience with?

The issue, if anyone's curious: car is a friend's, needed to get from CA-IL. Had an overheating on hills issue which was worked on by a guy in CA, but while on the drive friend realized it wasn't totally fixed. Car stayed in Saint George while he went on to IL for further repair. Radiator cap was replaced, I dont know what if anything else. I flew in and picked up the car. It's been sitting for ages prior to this, so has new battery. I ran it through a car wash, gassed her up (Costco, premium as requested by car) and got on my way. Windows down. Performance was fine, I havent been in a low car like that in a while so 65 felt fast but no issues coming up to speed. Running somewhat hot, probably 3/4 on the gauge, but not pull over hot. Check engine light comes on as I'm on the hwy. Message friend who says yeah, that's been on for a while, unrelated. Okay. I continue. Start to smell rotten eggs, stop. Seriously consider that there's forgotten food in the car since it sat for ages and the trunk latch was broken so who knows what all was in there, but cabin is somewhat unpleasant. Tidy up, don't see anything, move on. Take the scenic route through Zion, stopping every ten seconds to take yet another photo. Car turns on normally each time. Sulfur smell continues, noticeable when I'm outside the car. I still just think, but if it were the cat wouldn't I notice a lag? and keep going. Night comes so windows are up and smell is awful. I stop at gas station at next town (not close!) and car won't turn back on. Pop hood, battery looking glossy on top. Uh oh. Find hotel and wait until morning. Mechanic was across the street, which in this neck of the woods seems incredibly lucky. He walks over with a friend and tries to jump it, starts and alarm goes off and wipers turn themselves on (handle still in off position) at a speed that indicates they're trying to fling themselves off the car. No check engine light anymore. Dies again. Pops it in neutral and pushes it to his shop across the street. Next day won't turn over at all, totally dead. No codes to read. No fuses blown. Battery has no water in it, so that's boiled to uselessness (duh, I spent 80 miles driving inhaling hydrogen sulfide -- how did I miss this?!). ECU fried, or anti-theft taking over and stopping some kind of fuel/spark connection? Any way the cat at fault for all of this? Could this all be the result of a bad alternator having overcharged the battery prior to my arrival in the span of essentialy 2 hours of on/off driving? He's almost through removing ECU when I leave, was also talking about getting some EFI diagnostic info some other way to check fuel pump relay, which apparently is not a separate entity in these but is tied into the ecu? I know nothing about this car other than it does not work and I am here.

Anyway. Long story short, I'm a couple of days from really needing to be out of here, and am at the Plan B stage of auto repair.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,
This is a long shot but....I'm passing through Utah -- or at least I was supposed to be, but the '96 mx-6 I'm driving broke down in the SE part of the state and I've been stuck in Panguitch for a few days. The mechanic in town is super nice, but this seems to be turning into something fairly complicated and I may wind up needing to tow out of here to find a shop with some Mazda experience or at least more access to parts and that kind of thing. Does anyone have anyone they'd recommend in the Saint George (maybe SLC if I can find a tow that long) area you've had a good experience with?

The issue, if anyone's curious: car is a friend's, needed to get from CA-IL. Had an overheating on hills issue which was worked on by a guy in CA, but while on the drive friend realized it wasn't totally fixed. Car stayed in Saint George while he went on to IL for further repair. Radiator cap was replaced, I dont know what if anything else. I flew in and picked up the car. It's been sitting for ages prior to this, so has new battery. I ran it through a car wash, gassed her up (Costco, premium as requested by car) and got on my way. Windows down. Performance was fine, I havent been in a low car like that in a while so 65 felt fast but no issues coming up to speed. Running somewhat hot, probably 3/4 on the gauge, but not pull over hot. Check engine light comes on as I'm on the hwy. Message friend who says yeah, that's been on for a while, unrelated. Okay. I continue. Start to smell rotten eggs, stop. Seriously consider that there's forgotten food in the car since it sat for ages and the trunk latch was broken so who knows what all was in there, but cabin is somewhat unpleasant. Tidy up, don't see anything, move on. Take the scenic route through Zion, stopping every ten seconds to take yet another photo. Car turns on normally each time. Sulfur smell continues, noticeable when I'm outside the car. I still just think, but if it were the cat wouldn't I notice a lag? and keep going. Night comes so windows are up and smell is awful. I stop at gas station at next town (not close!) and car won't turn back on. Pop hood, battery looking glossy on top. Uh oh. Find hotel and wait until morning. Mechanic was across the street, which in this neck of the woods seems incredibly lucky. He walks over with a friend and tries to jump it, starts and alarm goes off and wipers turn themselves on (handle still in off position) at a speed that indicates they're trying to fling themselves off the car. No check engine light anymore. Dies again. Pops it in neutral and pushes it to his shop across the street. Next day won't turn over at all, totally dead. No codes to read. No fuses blown. Battery has no water in it, so that's boiled to uselessness (duh, I spent 80 miles driving inhaling hydrogen sulfide -- how did I miss this?!). ECU fried, or anti-theft taking over and stopping some kind of fuel/spark connection? Any way the cat at fault for all of this? Could this all be the result of a bad alternator having overcharged the battery prior to my arrival in the span of essentialy 2 hours of on/off driving? He's almost through removing ECU when I leave, was also talking about getting some EFI diagnostic info some other way to check fuel pump relay, which apparently is not a separate entity in these but is tied into the ecu? I know nothing about this car other than it does not work and I am here.

Anyway. Long story short, I'm a couple of days from really needing to be out of here, and am at the Plan B stage of auto repair.

Thanks!

Still out this way? I'm in STG.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts