Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys someone hit my car yesterday but he wants to pay cash.

he cracked the front bumper, indicator and dented wing, so want to find what these parts cost new??

all help appreciated

jamie

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Remember Jay, its not just the parts. A new bumper and wing would come in primer or bare metal so you would have to factor paint into the price.

A mate of mine bumped into a Seat Leon while changing lanes and caused similar damage to the rear of the Leon. After some haggling they agreed on £600 instead of an insurance claim.

I would think you would be looking at £150-200 for a genuine bumper in primer then £100 for the wing. There are bumpers on ebay for this sort of money. No idea of Mazda price for the indocator but I would think £50 as a guess. Then theres paint and labour to fit so £500 wouldnt be far away.

Of course you could get 2nd hand parts once he settles but is he likely to pay that sort of money? I have a good wing and front bumper, although it is cracked in 1 place but could be repaired and they are black.

How bad is the damage? is it repairable or does it definately need parts? Show us a pic if you can and let me know if you want the wing etc as the car is going tomorrow.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the wing has a little crease sort of line so i would replace it and where the bumper meets the wing it has split the bumper itself

i was thinking a new bumper might be closer to 250+ and the wing around 100.

plus the painting like you said probably nearer 300 plus as in swindon the good place charge way too much.

was gonna quote around 650 plus to him see how he feels, as more than likely with insurance companies they like to wright low priced cars off. that way i can maybe fix it up myself with a kit or something.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Theres a nice bumper/kit on ebay that may fit your budget if you can get the ££ out of him.

Front Bumper - MAZDA MX6 ( MX-6 ) - Promotion ! on eBay, also Body Modifications, Exterior Styling, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 20-Jan-09 12:38:05 GMT)

I can sort you a wing for £20 but would need it collecting.

I had a creased wing near to where it meets the bumper and it was repaired and painted for £200. You couldnt tell it was ever damaged once done. £300 for paint sounds fair to me.

The last thing you want is for it to get written off. A lot of members on here have had similar problems because the market value is so low and some wont sell you the car back.

Good luck with it chap. You are pretty much spot on with your prices, its just down to wether he wants to pay that kind of bill.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers for your help windy,

i have looked at that bumper in the link they will do the side as well for another 80 i think which seems good, i just worry about it fitting badly and looking worse than the dent lol.

will make an offer to the guy and see what he says.

jamie

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You will need a body shop to do the paint so they should fit it for you and will proberbly sort any issues without much hassle. If they are experienced and do a lot of kits it wont be a problem. Try and fit it yourself and you could make a mess if you run into problems.

The sellers feedback reads ok, products seem good quality.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right i have some pics of the minor damage, underneath them is the quote to repair! :eek:

to repair £1569.00 :(

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
is that it!

I had worse than that on mine apart from the indicator and a decent body shop charged me £250 to repair and paint it. Who the hell quoted that figure?

I have the indicator for that side sat in my shed + the wing if needed (would need to know asap). The bumper looks like it needs a repair and paint but the part that is broken off is minor and once repaired you wouldnt know. Even if it needs a new bumper you should be able to get a red one 2nd hand for under £100.

If I were you I would get £500-600 off the guy and source the parts yourself then get the paintwork done. Its an easy job to take the bits off and put the new ones on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i know the price was high, the parts from mazda new came to a shade under 1000 plus vat. ridiculous really.

i did say to the guy about sorting some cash out around 600 and i could source the stuff myself. he is going to get back to me tomorrow.

the head light has got a crack in the rear casing and the inner panel has moved slightly but still the cost is far too much.

i just gotta play the waiting game to see what he says tomorrow.

jamie

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have a headlight housing if you need one mate. I bought a pair of lights off someone on here but one turned up smashed so I have the shell still sat here. You could swap the lens and bulbs and be sorted.

Good luck with it, hope it dont go down the insurance route coz that would be a pain.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
That doesnt sound good. It will be a write off for sure as they will be quoted the same price as you.

If they do write it off make sure you ask how much to buy it back, then repair it yourself.

Theres a red mx6 being broken on ebay atm. It has damage on the drivers side but you could get the wing no problem and I have 3 passenger indicators here + the light housing you need. That leaves the bumper to sort but a body shop should be able to sort that.

I would try and get the red wing on ebay if I were you, ready for when you get the car back.

heres the listing

MAZDA MX6 2.5 V6 1995 BREAKING SPARES WHEEL NUT on eBay, also, Mazda, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 06-Feb-09 18:46:46 GMT)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks windy,

the guy at the bodyshop they have taken it too said that they have been instructed before to repair certain cars under 2000 up to the value of the vehicle.

he thinks they might repair it??? never know

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
would be a bonus if they do but not the end of the world if they dont. You could get the car back and some £ in your pocket if it works out right.

·
Registered
69 Posts
jay,
i had a quote from a mazda dealer here in bristol last month, front bumper was roughly £350 unpainted, the metal support bracket was £140ish. I had similar damage on mine and it totaled up to about £650 with the VAT.

hope this helps mate.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Damn, I knew I should have charged you more for that bumper Matty, LOL!!

Hows the rebuild going anyway, are you making much progress?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
looking at the quote the garage the insurers have sent it too, im not sure they have included a new support bracket. is that a bad thing?

jamie

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
nah, yours will be fine

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
right update................... the insurance company are repairing it!!! get in!!!!

although i was surprise as the quote from there body centre was 1220 (+vat im guessing)

jamie

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Result chap. Thats good news

1 - 20 of 20 Posts