Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have the check engine lit all day. Some times it goes off, mainly when I'm on the highway. I've checked the codes and it tells me that the EGR position sensor is having troubles.
Where is this darn thing located ???
And this darn thing is worth $ 280 CAN, looks like it's only available in mazda parts (no wonder it cost so much!). I'm sure there's some aftermarket parts somewhere...
Isn't there ????
The guy at the dealer told me I could disassemble it & clean the part, that could probably do the trick...But i'm sceptic...

------------------

·
Registered
405 Posts
i just changed my header this weekend and i can tell you where one end of it is. the one end screws into the header, it has a tube that goes into a 1 inch fitting. it is on the right side of the manifold, you will have to pull the heat sheild off to see what i am talking about. from there i have no idea where it goes. but i will take a look for you man.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The EGR valve on the GT is on the passenger side, on the intake manifold. It has some vacuum lines and a wire harness going into it. Most of the time what happens is it gets stuck open when it shouldn't be, like at idle, and will make your car idle rough. Most of the time you can take it off and clean it and it should work normal again.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Since the EGR feeds some exhaust gas back into the manifold, look for the return tube from the exhaust pipe and trace it back where it should be on the intake manifold. Clean the electrical connectors and make sure they make secure connection. Also ensure that the vac hoses are not cracked or loose. Then I'd remove it and take some carb cleaner and clean the black carbon build up out of there. You may need to make a new gasket when reinstalling, so get some gasket making paper material or get the replacement gasket if needed.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
heres a quick question - do you need the EGR sensor? i've got some new gasket faces cut, and about to make a new manifold - tuned length - and that pipe just makes things more complicated (damn i'm lazy) - is there any harm in removing it? or blocking it off?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
You should not have a problem removing it. It is there for emmisions reasons. It only comes into play at constant speeds over 35mph. Some say it cools the engine down some, but since it only comes into play at constant speeds it will hot hurt performace any.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just cleaned my egr pump out fairly well and now the check engine light comes on less, but still lights sometimes. Any tips for cleaning it better or cleaning the manifold it bolts onto? Are there any hoses i should replace?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.