Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 V6 with 86,000 miles and it goes through alot of oil. I took it to my local Mazda dealer and they told me that the car had absolutly no sign of leakage and for some reason seems to eat oil. Also can anyone tell me which is better for that engine conventional or synthetic?

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 94 has about the same milege. The only time my car uses a bit of oil is in winter, I switched to mobil 1 and its much quieter. Have you done a compression test to check whether your oil rings are not worn? Also remove your plg leads and check if you have oil in those wells, if there is oil there than its your tappet cover gasket , it could also be your valve stem seals get someone to follow you, go onto a downhill strech decelarate and then accelarate and the bottom of the hill if he sees a large puff of blueinsh like smoke blast off from the back its definitly those seals

my 2c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm having the same problem. I got an oil change last week and noticed that I was down halfway on the oil. No leak or anything. The only problem I have is that my engine light goes on (although I've heard this happens to a lot of people for no reason). One other problem, if the car hasn't been driven for a few days, when I start the car it idles roughly for about 10 seconds and some smoke comes out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
silverboy said:
I'm having the same problem. I got an oil change last week and noticed that I was down halfway on the oil. No leak or anything. The only problem I have is that my engine light goes on (although I've heard this happens to a lot of people for no reason). One other problem, if the car hasn't been driven for a few days, when I start the car it idles roughly for about 10 seconds and some smoke comes out.

it is typical for our motors to consune some oil

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
isn't half a engine of oil missing excessive? It was only about 2500 miles/3 months since I had the oil change

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
What exactly are you referring to when you say 'half a engine of oil missing' ?

The distance between the low and full marks on the dipstick is approximately a quart.

Tyson

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Mobil 1

I just started using Mobil 1 synthetic, I've been told that my car is going to burn it.

That was a relief when I checked it and it was low.

Why do they burn synthetic?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh great I just switched to Mobil 1 and now you are saying our engine will burn it up. What the hell. You can not tell me that our engine is that sensitve. Well im gonna stay with the Mobil 1 cuz it makes my engine so smooth and quiet, unless the shit really hits the fan

·
Registered
50 Posts
Donnt worry about the oil loss when you use m1 it onlu does that on the first change, when you chnge it the second time it stops.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmmmmm... my 96 has 62,500 on it and burns NO oil at all (at least it can be measured by the dipstick). I change the oil at 5K-6K intervals and it's still always topped off. Hopefully, this won't change at 80K+ . You guys are scaring me.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello fellow mx6ers well I have a 1994 Mazda mx6 ls and it leaks oil and I took it to a local repair shop and they told me it was coming from the oil filter he replaced it and I didn't show any types of leakage I picked the car up and when it used I notice it starts to leak oil any ideas where it can be? What it can be?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
holy crapolas, you just bumped a 10 year old thread....

if the valve cover gaskets haven't been changed, then most likely from there. also, it can leak from the distributor o-ring, but most of it will be coming from the valve cover gaskets. check your spark plug wells for oil. if you sell puddles of black, you'll need to change your gaskets.

also, oil pressure sending units can leak too

just get under the car, wipe stuff down as much as you can. park it somewhere with a piece of cardboard underneath and locate where it's leaking

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
valve seals

take a plug out and check it for oil next time it sets for a wile -if so it could be valve seals -also Ive heard that synthetic oil doesn't burn it just goes out the exhaust-in some extreme cases you cab put your hand behind the tailpipe and get specks of oil on it but idk .

·
Registered
118 Posts
From what I have managed to piece together about leaks with synthetics (from lots of reading) is this:

Changing to synthetics will not in itself cause leaks, synthetics have a higher detergent level and will eventually clean your engine. If you have leaks that are currently being plugged with oil sludge, the synth will clean out the sludge and you will get a leak. But, synthetics are also better for seals, apparently they have additives that will swell seals, so with a good quality synth, your leaks should eventually go away.

I purchased my 97 PGT at 191,000 km, I don't know what oil it had in it (but looking into the oil filler the cam gears were spotless, so maybe synth), but I switched to Fuchs semi-synth first oil change, I used that for about 20,000 km, I have just started using Nulon full synth. I have minimal oil loss, 1L max between changes.

I did initially have oil coming into the plug sockets, but I cleaned this out 15,000 km ago, haven't seen any in there since.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts