Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a 1993 MX6 AUTO 4cylinder. It is not my first choice to get an automatic, but I really cant say no to the deal. Anyways, what kind of mods can I do that can put me up to doing the occasional "street light drag" with a ricey civic or something.

I am mainly into competiing in car stereo competitions, so I usually focus on the system. Although this car I would like suggestions for speeding the car up a bit more. Any suggestions and brand names will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Theirs many things

Theirs many things you can do to your car to give it a little more Hp.

Examples

1. Intake

2. Exhaust

3. headers

4.Cam gears

5. Cams

6. Port and polish

7. Throttle Body

8. For quick off the line power NOS

9. Or if you have a lot of money buy a Turbo Kit.

Its all about how much you want to spend. Just go to a performance shop and ask some questions.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what exactly is a Jspec engine, is that an engine swap? Cuz umm...i'm not the bling bling person here.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Modding...

Yes the engine is a replacement, but I don't think it is horribly expensive. I think I saw something like $800, which is cheaper than the V6 replacement that goes for about double that. I would get a tranny cooler, just to get further on your tranny as they can be problematic w/out maintenance and a cooler. Mods cost money, so a cheap place to start is the intake. You can do a custom intake too for even cheaper. Just search around here, you will see prices and etc. spread around and if you can't find an answer, post your question.

·
Registered
41 Posts
dont think u pasing emmisions with a jdm engine. and u want power? wit 4 amps runnin 8 12s in the trunk. and dont forget a shiet load of fiberglass or if u go the ghetto way of mdf carpet boxes. u aint goin no where. u gonna go audio? stay audio. why mix it?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just came to ask what are some good mods i can do to give me a little more power. I do not plan on running the 1/4 mile.

You do not have to be an ass about it. If you came asking me about car audio, I would not tell you to "GO AWAY AND STAY WITH RACING".

G

·
http://www.atx.ipfox.com/
or try www.probetalk.com
either way get a tranny cooler and be nice to that tranny, they aren't know for lasting at all and they are expensive (near 2 grand) to fix, i wouldn't get it though, if you want i got one with the tranny already broken ill sell you, save you the hassle of breakin it yourself
read up before you buy that car, only one tranny fits in it and it is know to be shit, some people have replaced three of them before their waranty went out

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car I am getting has 93K miles on it. I guess the first thing I will do is get a tranny cooler. How much do they cost? And how can I be "nicer" to my tranny?

G

·
be nicer be not driving it to hard all the time, check that first site out that i posted its all about atx's and it should say some tips on how to make them last longer

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, also if I just wanna do the popular performance upgrades of INTAKE/EXHAUST combo, will that give me a difference I will notice? Or should I do neither and save money get that level 10 thingy.

G

·
im pretty sure you would notice those the power diff if you did those things, i think the L10 tranny is for serious horse power though (300+) and is overkill for a stock car, at least the price is. my atx lasted till 130k with me beating the shit out of it on a daily basis but it finally died, almost all the atx stories i've heard though people haven't been that lucky, check to see if there are any known prevatatives you can do, and if you see the flashing O/D or hold light, start saving

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well your car died even with a cooler? Or did you use to race alot or something, and thats what helped kill it?

When I drive, I never chicken shift. Only thing I do is floor-it. Will that be bad for car?

G

·
no cooler, that tranny started dying before i found these bulletin boards, im not too worried i gotta 95 LS with a MTX also, now so the atx is just sitting there waiting for a tranny.
i drove it real hard, not track racing, but racing up hills in low gears and flooring it every time i touched the gas, like i said, my tranny lasted a lot longer then i've heard most do, but i'm scared to replace it cause i can't stand the idea of spending 2grand on a tranny and then having it go out a year later, i still haven't decided, i'm either gonna fix it and sell it or do the MTX swap, i've heard even the 2.0's have some power with the MTX.

G

·
I have a 93 4cyl ATX. With intake and exhaust. It makes a difference. I am definitely shooting for a 2.0 MTX when my tranny dies. I have 103k I thinks its on its way. So MTX here I come! And where can you get CAM gears? Some one direct me pleeeeease.

·
Registered
219 Posts
automatic performance!

I am in the same boat you are I have a 4cyl auto and I hate it.The tranny only though I love my 6.Now I have intake,exhaust,test pipe,J-spec cam and it added alot af far as i can tell by the butt dyno.If you dont have alot of money to mod there are cheap ways of doing things.get with a speed shop in your area and try to pry the info out of the tecknitions head.and use this board to help you also.You will find more info about modding your 6 here than anyplace else.You just need to do ALOT of reading.good luck.

G

·
i could be wrong but i don't think porting the manifold is gonna make a difference if you still got the stock air box in there, get rid of that thing first, no matter what kinda car you got, those things are terrible

1 - 20 of 26 Posts