Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any pointers or gotchas?

When it comes to lowering the rear suspension for the through-bolts to clear the fuel tank, how low does it drop? Are the bolts long enough that they stay in, or do you have to remove them? (Sorry, I know this sounds like a noob question, but I do not want surprises if I can avoid them.) I assume you must unsecure the hard brake lines from the crossmember - is there anything else that must be disassembled?

Just looking for guidance from anyone who has been down this road before.

Thanks!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has done this?

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
What exactly are you trying to do ?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am planning to replace my lateral links. The manual says that I will have to lower the rear suspension in order for the through bolt to clear the gas tank. I just don't want to mess something up unintentionally while doing that.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Youll have to drop the rear subframe (just so the bolts clear) to remove the bolts. Its cumbersome, but not wholly difficult. The only thing to "hurt" would be if you forget to unbolt the "T" junction for the brake hard line (should be right in the middle of the subframe).

Gavin

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Gavin. I had noted that junction when I checked. Thanks for clarifying that there isn't anything else.

Michael

edit - I will add that it is interesting that 4 short bolts hold the entire rear suspension on!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Partial success - that is to say, half done

I got the passenger side links replaced today. I'd keep going, but I'm SPENT!

The bolt that goes through the wheel/spindle was frozen. I worked on it for a LONG time before it would spin even a little. To get it to move laterally was a LOT more work. However, I was successful.

I had to detach the trailing links to get the crossmember to line up with the pins, but that's no biggie. I'm hoping I can complete the job tomorrow. Then it will be time for an alignment and 4 new tires.

Gavin, thanks again for the reassurance.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the driver's side done today. MUCH quicker when you know what you're doing! Plus, I had shot the through-bolt with PB Blaster a few times yesterday, so it was a lot quicker process to get that bolt loose and out. It was still frozen, but not nearly as badly as the other side.

Now for an alignment and new tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts