Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake..."

Well, April Fools...

This years joke came off better than I expected. I wanted to perform a bit of a social experiment this year, so I decided to prey on everyone's ego and dangle a tidbit of power before your eyes in hopes of overcoming your natural distrust. Looks like it worked. Amazingly well.

For those of you who missed it, here is what I did:

I modified the top of the main page to display "Moderator for a Day: [YourName]" where [YourName] is quite literally Your Username. Yes, anyone who logs in saw thier own name at the top of the page and naturally assumed that everyone else saw the same thing. Well, they did, in a way. LOL
The tag also linked to the thread titled "Moderator for a Day" that encourgaed you to pop into the Moderator forum and say hello. So I created a fake Moderator forum that was visible to everyone and copied a number of innocuous threads into it from the real Mod forum.
Also all new posts were moderated so they did not appear (lest everyone tips eachother off to the joke).

The funniest part was that I added a "Ban User" link to display after each user's name in thier post. I had to make it look real and couldn't allow people to actually ban each other, so I made up a simple explanation to be displayed in a popup message. "User added to Ban queue. Ban will be processed within an hour." Sounds feasible right?
I will have to share some of the paniced PM I got after people clicked than link.

I also added a "Delete Post" option to the threads to make it at least somewhat believable.

Finally, to ensure that people were not tipped off too soon, I modified the spam catcher to auto-moderate any mention of April Fools or Moderator for a Day. This worked a bit too well and filtered a lot of legitimate posts too. Sorry for that.

But the results were truly amazing. I mean, this is a Sunday and look at the activity.

For any of you who wish to, I have enabled post and thread deletion in the fake moderator forum. I will not force anyone to be embarassed by what they posted.

I will begin asking permission to share some of the funnier PMs and summarize who got banned by who.

Feel free to comment away. :)

Reactions: IceMan MX-6

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Mad props to you Scoob. You definately got me, and it appears 95% of the active members. I'll have to be on the look out for next year!

Side Note: Spend less time screwing with us, and more time fixing the Garage! :)

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
so thats why my fkn post dissapeared in the 'mod for a day' thread. VERY nice move with the spam-detection. :)

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Very well thought out. I remember the drama from this morning as we all scrambled to figure this out while tired!

I think you got everyone on this one!

·
Registered
947 Posts
hahaha i baned Sean right from the start cause i knew it was was all about haha

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Yes this was funny. I want to know who was first to ban you

You got me as well lol, I just kept looking for how to mod ppls sigs.... I wanted to have some fun :p:p

·
Registered
965 Posts
Haha, this was the first April fools on mx6.com to get me! I didn't even realize what day it was. Also, I didn't read "moderator for the day: " until AFTER I clicked ban under someone's name. I didn't know what it would do and I don't even remember who I clicked that for. It was just random. After I seen moderator for the day, I just about crapped myself. I thought I really tried to ban someone. :lol:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
i tip my hat to you sir
i didn't even pay attention til i accidently clicked the ban button and it put me back at the home page. after that tho i knew what was up

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yea you got me, i'm sure i was one of those panicked e-mails about banning people... good one!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
hahaha that was a good one! I didnt think it was for real cuz the screen looks nothing like what I have on the other forum as far as mod options. I couldnt do anything at all really. so I knew something was up or just really really wrong! lol! but you messed up cuz I tried to post a pic of a wide body mx6 that mike found to see what everyont thought of it :( but this was a good one scoob! you should have set it up that everytime someone tried to bann someone it gave them - karma! lol! so people would be so screwed! and then under the comment just have it say jackass! hahahahhaha

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
a thread with the panicked PM's would be an instant classic :lol:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts