Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '93 mx6 with the v6 5speed and clutch that going bad, its stock other then a euro pipe with dual tips, the other night i raced a '95 Arcura Inegra with a 1.8 dohc v-tec 5speed, the kid that owned it said it only had a euro exhaust and cold air. I was redlining but he still beat me 2 out of three times by only a bumper. My question is, is that good or does my car suck? plz give me some feedback to help me out and be honest.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I think this is in the wrong forum, but ill answer anyway.

Well considering a 1.8 vtec has 170hp, compared to your 165hp, it seems reasonable seeing how u have a bad clutch, and he had an intake(Hondas respond better to mods). Your car does not suck. and beeing beat by the bumper is not bad.

CHange your Clutch (stg 1 or 3) and get a fidenza 9lb flywheel and you ll probably beat him next time around.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Thanks, I knew i was in the wrong forum but i wanted some one to reply fast.See I live in Michigan and there not much time until the racing season is over. i wasnt trying to piss anyone off. I just want to know how my car was doing, so that i can try to beat him before the snow hits. Is there any other fast mods i can do to?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
well I really dont mind if your in the wrong forum.

theres intake. take out the factory box and put on an air filter. there is a IAT mod that u can do by clipping a wire. (thats in the 2nd gen forum) I think its for the atx only. read about it B4 you do any clipping.:D

cut your catalytic convertor off.(i dont have one. Not recommended though due to emmisions and stuff)

Do a tune up and change your oil. You might notice a little change but nothing BIG>

POWER shift?(nevermind, dont do it.)

If you want me to explain better let me know. But these are quick and easy mods and tuning that you can do fast

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
RbluEMx6 said:
[BPOWER shift.
[/B]
No, don't.

you have a slipping clutch. this will just make it slip more.

and unless you have the mechanical ability to change a transmission (i'm assuming you have a 5 speed) - then don't. winning against someone in a street race isnt worth breaking trannies. That said, many people do powershift and get good times at-the-track. see where i'm leading? There shouldnt be any need or desire to power shift (never letting off the gas between shifts) in a basically stock 6, on the streets.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I already know the outcome, but just incase, could I take a integra, (intake, exhaust, brand new engine, and its a 5-speed) with a V6 in it...I'm not sure the year, but its the the style with the two small headlights in the front on each side, think its around a 92-4. I dont think I have a chance...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is the car, if u have anything more then what i have u should be able to beat them with out a problem, after the kid raced me we talked and he said to beat me the 2nd time he was double clutching, and me being new at this i do not know how to double clutch. when he beat me the first time i shifted early going into third and had a bad start due to the fact that my rack and pinion is bad and my car jerks to the left on hard take offs.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
spankemhard69 said:
and he said to beat me the 2nd time he was double clutching, and me being new at this i do not know how to double clutch. when he beat me the first time i shifted early going into third and had a bad start due to the fact that my rack and pinion is bad and my car jerks to the left on hard take offs.
um, are you just pulling random terms out of a hat?

sounds to me like youre both a couple of ricers. spend a few more years learning to drive your car... and i am being serious.

go to a road racing school.. you'll learn more about the handling characteristics and dynamics of your car in one day than a year's worth of bad habits "on the streets"

double clutching indeed...

bad rack and pinion indeed!

can we get this out of the lounge now?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Goatcrapp said:

double clutching indeed...

bad rack and pinion indeed!
I think I know why I lost to that Z06 now..... I wasn't double clutching..... Damn it!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
CustomMX6 said:
I already know the outcome, but just incase, could I take a integra, (intake, exhaust, brand new engine, and its a 5-speed) with a V6 in it...
The Integra never came with a v6 in it. The Legend did but the Integra has always been a 1.7 or 1.8 liter 4 banger.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Dyoel I think he was referring to his own car.

The GSR and the v6 mx6 are a drivers race... even mod for mod a drivers race unless you get some type of f/i!!!

As for your car jerking left when you take off... this is called torque steer. This happens in FWD cars upon hard acceleration. The power goes to the wheels responsible for steering, and as your tires break loose, you have to fight to get the car to go straight.

This is why RWD and AWD is MUCH better than a FWD car in racing appication. Actually, RWD is better if drag racing is the main concern of the owner of the vehicle. Less drivetrain loss in one, and has a better top end because of it when adding some serious power adders.

Also:

DON"T POWER SHIFT!!!! THIS IS DUMB!!!!

Lastly, if you need a new clutch, CM Stage I clutch with a lightened flywheel is :tup:

Sounds to me though you are young and inexperienced. I'd say you need to learn to drive, stay OFF the streets racing, and do LOTS of research to start learning.

If you don't know what a cam and crank do and what they are responsible for, then you should start there!!!

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
First off, TAKE IT TO THE TRACK. No offense - well, maybe some - but it's people like you that give people like me a bad name.

Secondly - powershifting does nothing over shifting correctly if you know what you're doing. Well, it does break things better....

Thirdly - if he was "double-clutching", he better be driving a big ass diesel truck with a manual tranny. If not, he watches a really bad movie WAY too much. Incidentaly, forgetting that the F&F movies exist at all is typically good for 1 to 2 10ths off your 1/4 mile time. :D

Lastly - understand that the comments you are getting from everyone here, while some are harsh, are also for your own good, in more ways than one. You either talk cars cuz you know cars and love cars, or you talk cars for ANY other reason and make an ass outta yourself. People here can help you work on the first. There are other sites where the second kind is more welcome.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
RbluEMx6 said:
well I really dont mind if your in the wrong forum.

theres intake. take out the factory box and put on an air filter. there is a IAT mod that u can do by clipping a wire. (thats in the 2nd gen forum) I think its for the atx only. read about it B4 you do any clipping.:D

Don't do that- it works well on ATX's to raise internal line pressures- USELESS on MTX

cut your catalytic convertor off.(i dont have one. Not recommended though due to emmisions and stuff)

Dont do that- you don't lost that much power through the cat.Plus- its not nice to mommy nature :)

Do a tune up and change your oil. You might notice a little change but nothing BIG>

DO THAT - You could be surprised at how nice an engine will run with fresh oil :)

POWER shift?

Dont do that. its not synchro friendly, and its gonna kill your tranny- for sure.

[/B]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Yeha, take all of the advice very seriously as most have been good advice.

And it seems your problem is being new to the Mx6. Shifting an LS is a bit diffrerent than most cars if you have driven other manuals before. If you haven't than damn that explains alot.

You will need at least 6 months to be able to properly shift your Mx6. Mazda's clutches and gearbox are linear versus instantaneous unlike Honda's gearboxes.A GSR mod for mod will be a very close driver race. That being said an Mx6 should murder a GSR off the line with some good launching and if you get off the line first than the race is done for. His top might help him a bit but he won't have enough to pull on you if you get a good and proper start.

Anyways, I hate "street racing" since there isn't much racing involved. I have taken a few of my friends on to a twisty backmountain road and showed them what real driving involoves. Go read my Road Racing FAQ in the Racing forum to learn more about what a car can really do. Alot more fun turning really fast than jsut straigltine. Not to mention the high lasts alot longer.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Dyoel182 said:
The Integra never came with a v6 in it. The Legend did but the Integra has always been a 1.7 or 1.8 liter 4 banger.
Hrm...I swear he said V6, maybe he got one put in his car, he just got a new engine.....but so I could take him then with the I4?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
CustomMX6 said:
Hrm...I swear he said V6, maybe he got one put in his car, he just got a new engine.....but so I could take him then with the I4?
Some kid with a late 90's Sunfire once told me it was a V6. I laughed at him. He showed me the part number on his throttlebody- It said V6.

I showed him the quite obviously 4 cylinder nature of his 2.2 I4.

Hehe, its dumb kids like that that give sport compacts a bad name. He was also standing there free revving the motor from the throttlebody, just cause. In a freaking shopping center parking lot. :sigh:

-Garrett

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
SLAP THAT KID SILLY!!!! Bad enough that he's out there at all without disgracing a Quad4. :x

Oh, and skiingman - you stole it from me. Big, yellow letters for over a year before I got around to changing it. ;)

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
mxmissile said:
SLAP THAT KID SILLY!!!! Bad enough that he's out there at all without disgracing a Quad4. :x

Oh, and skiingman - you stole it from me. Big, yellow letters for over a year before I got around to changing it. ;)
Yeah :) Its a pretty heartfelt sig for me.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
:lol: to much rice for me.

These kids are the average female" no offense to anyone"

But heres how it goes, theres some people who know alot about there car and other cars, then theres some people who know only what they need to know to there own maintence. And then theres a vast majority of people who want to be cool like the people who know things about cars, yet they no more then a 8 year old kid, "its just something to drive us around and then throw away and buy a new one when it dont wanna go anymore"

The simple standard of the average female " i dont know, i put gas in it at the gas station, push on the go pedal when i wanna go and push on the stop pedal when i wanna stop, P is for park, D is for go and all those other letters and numbers will reck your car if you use them. I cant stress how many people ive witnessed blow up a motor because they dint even know where to put oil in the engine (male and female)

I remeber when i wonderd how on earth a big chunk a metal in the front of the car worked. My dad then (being a professional diesel and auto mehanic/tow truck operater ) then gave me a book that told me how. I was 10.:p, i dont know everything, but the more i know the easier it is to figure it out..

so...

LEARN DAMNIT. did any of you ride the"specail bus"?

he probaly was talking about his new sony amp or sub or somethin. who drops a v6 in a integra
I dont think I have a chance...
no u dont. chances are he knows how car uninclined you are and is making you look and feel stupid. go slash is [email protected] @- @- :E

1 - 20 of 20 Posts