Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has a 90 MX6 its a great car and we both enjoy it. But it seems to have a bad ignition switch in it. You seem to have to play with the key a few times in order to start it. Both the battery and the starter are new. My roommate also has a 90 MX6 and it has the same problem. Can anyone offer any solutions???? Thank You in advance and props for a great page.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I've never heard of anyone having an ignition switch go bad, but maybe you have another problem. When you mean you have to play with it a few times to start it. Do you really mean that when you turn the key to activate the starter motor, that you hear a "click" and that's it. Then after a few more tries and "clicking" it'll start? That's actually a sign of either a bad battery connecton, starter connection or the starter itself. This I have had happen to me. What you need is a stiff wire brush. Take the battery cables off, and clean the posts on the battery. Make them nice and shiny, do the same to the connectors, and if you wanna go the extra step, use some dielectric grease on the connections when you put them back together. That's what solved the problem for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
definetly the ignition switch

Its definetly the switch I changed it out and the problenm is gone. Thanks for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts