Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the advantages/disadvantages for this setup cause I was thinking of putting an Mx3 1.8L V6 flywheel (balanced and resurfaced) installed in my 6 also when I get a new clutch. Lemme know. :)

Thankx

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
actually it doesnt free up HP, it just lowers the unsprung weight, thus allowing you to get to your HP faster. some racing associations have outlawed them because they yield such an advantage...

some say that it makes more stress on the engine and others say you have trouble making it up hills but this is hearsay...

and all the gears will be quicker but 1st and 2nd will be most noticable...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Got this off PT:

imagine you're riding your 10 speed bicycle. would it be easier to ride it with or without 20 lb weights strapped to your feet? a lighter flywheel means less rotational mass, and less work that your engine has to do to attain a certain speed. it has a much more profound effect in 1st and 2nd gears, but you will feel a difference throughout, and you're engine will become more rev-happy.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm currently looking for one of these flywheels myself to go with an ACT clutch I'm getting. From what i hear, it revs quicker but when you let off the gas, your momentum drops like a stone. Hence, the reason for a heavier flywheel in the first place is in the interest of "driveability." The heavier stock flywheel while producing slower acceleration, was designed to encourage smoother shifts between gears and to discourage rapid drops in rpm's while shifting.
Based on other's advice, i plan to have the new/used flywheel resurfaced and lightened to get quicker response. I have the weight I decided on written down somewhere, if u like search for threads with the word "flywheel"
hr

·
Registered
283 Posts
I got the MX3 flywheel. The engine revs quicker and drops quicker like others have said. After a month or so, you won't notice it at all, since you'll adjust your driving style accordingly. Because it's not that extremely light compared to stock, I don't think it will cause any long-term engine damage.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have an mx3 flywheel plus its shaved down to 14lbs... after a couple of days I was able to drive it as smoothly as stock. You just need to rev-match a little more.
Looks awsome when you stomp the accelerator and see the RPMs just FLY up to 6G's in 1 second :D
I can only imagine what a 7lb flywheel would be like :)

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
the clutch bolts to the flywheel... you drop the tranny to get to it... im not sure how much a shop would charge you, but if you do it yourself...its free...LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts