Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the tittle says, I have my Valve cover painted with high temp paint and I love the way it looks...but only right after its painted..because after like only one month, the paint starts flaking off. Does anyone know a good alternative to painting valve covers, that looks just as good but dosn't get ruined after like one month?

thanks

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I cleaned my valve cover with simple green and painted it with 1500 degree Ford Red paint from the auto parts store and have had great results. It's been about a year and a half, and I've scratched it, hit it, stood on it (hooking up an engine hoist one tiem) and removed it over and over again. No paint has ever flaked off except for around the bolt holes....

If you want pics let me know. I'll post them, but it doesn't look quite as good in a picture.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
When you use hightemp paint arent you suppose to bake it on after its been painted. (in oven or run the car) All the hightemp paint thats ive used says that its suppose to bake/cure on the object.

Try that, clean......repaint.......then install and run the car for a bit.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I cleaned mine, then sprayed it on while the engine was still hot... I can't get it off with a wire brush now

·
Registered
192 Posts
CLEAN CLEAN CLEAM, even steel wool it a bit to get some surface for the paint to adhere to, use some reducer to clean it with or something like it. Then paint it and let it flash between coats so the bottom layer gets to adhere and dry a bit before you pound on the rest, if you dont let it flash it will peel off, same with if there is any oil at all on it, i had a complete clear coat come off cause the guy came in between coats and armoralled (SP?) his dash and the armor all got on the paint of the car between base and clear and the clear just fell off and fish eyed.

·
Banned
171 Posts
Methman ... What color did you paint it ?? ... If you like black then you can use ... Krylon BBQ & Stove spray paint ... Works really really good ... Used it to paint my stock GT rims and turbo manifold heat shield ... I'm going to use i on my valve cover soon ... I know it doesn't chip unless you hit it with something sharp but other than that ... Heat won't make it chip or anything.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
The only valve cover I painted was a CA20 nissan. 1st coat "wrinkle finish black" refitted it for a week to cure. The top coat, high temp red. Red wrinkle looks filth.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
flaky VC

The aluminum anodizes and needs to be well prepped and cleaned prior to painting with a quality hi-temp paint. Powder coating is the ideal method of lasting choice.
Maybe try glass beading the surface for a better "etching bite", then prime it before painting.
Any residual contamination on the surface will come back to haunt you again.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks alot guys.

Methman

1 - 11 of 11 Posts