Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car pulls very hard from 2500rpm to 4500rpm but after that it seems like the engine can't breath anymore and the power falls off. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do to get rid of it? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
666 Posts
That's just the way our engines make power. They're stroker motors, stroked to 2.2 liters from the original 2.0 liter engine. The longer stroke makes for great low and midrange torque, especially when you add the turbo, but, they do run out of breath above right about 5000 rpms. The torque peak comes at 3500 rpms, and the horsepower peak comes at 4500. After that, it's not gonna make more power. The best solution is to just shift at 5 grand, that's what I do. There are things you can do, like upgrade your turbo. From everything I've heard, the T-bird turbo upgrade will allow you to make power all the way to redline. I'm hoping to very soon have that upgrade, and will put it to the test.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know where to get any information about the T-Bird upgrade. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
28 Posts
Time for a bigger turbo. TBird, RX7 hybrid from Charles on probetalk, WRX from RawPower( Chris) on probetalk. I believe the tbird you can get for somewhere around 700. RX7 hybrid is about 800 and wrx is about 1200. If you cant afford the wrx I would get the rx7 as it seems to be better than the tbird.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts