Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 90 LX says for cold weather driving I should put ATF Type F in the gearbox. For warmer temps it also suggests GL-5 80W-90 gear oil.

1. Can new ATF (Dexron III and Mercon V etc., etc.,) be used in place of the Type F?
2. Because the ATF is not much different in viscosity from the 80W-90, would it be just as good to go with regular gear oil?

Thanks,
Brendan

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
right now im using atf in my gt. No probs. :tup:
Probably would be better with gear oil, though.

·
Registered
372 Posts
use Sythentic Gear Oil, such as Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, etc and you should be just fine.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
yes redline definitly :tup: Little pricy, but worth it....try to fuind some with GL-4 rather than GL-5

·
Registered
372 Posts
what is the difference between the GL ratings? Also if you can't find Redline(Jegs/Summit) then I know my local NAPAs stock Amsoil and Mobil 1, Any good TRUE synthetic will work better because it flows better at lower temps and withstands high temps too, there really is no downside to synthetics....i don't know about you but if i can keep it runnning longer just by switching to synthetics and changing it out at proper intervels then i will. I know a guy who had an LT1(the V8 in 93-97 Camaros, Firebirds and 92-97 vettes) and 100,000 miles later when he tore it apart it was still with in factory tolerances....not service tolerances, it was in good enough shape to be considered brand new....He used Mobil 1 and changed it every 3,000 miles....there are some posts about it over at thirdgen.org and camaroz28.com. Mobil 1:tup:

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
well, its said that the GL-5 eats the brass synchros in your transmission and that the GL-4 does not, or not as fast? Some people say its a myth and others stick true by it. The choice is up to you, really. Hell, im usin ATF lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts