Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DO any of you have the best idea to replace or gring the current cut-off in the E-spec's? I think im going to tackel this project this weekend and looking fo rsome advice. Also to get into the assembely of the head light, i bake it in the oven at 200 degrees for 10 min. Correct? then it should just pull appart? Or should i use a heat gun? Bolt has a good thread on it, but nothing specificaly about what he did to the actual cut off. I will want it to have a sharp cut-off so i cant mess with the dimensions too much. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zach, i wish i had the money. But i dont. How or where can i get the "ECE" like yours? Like the first picture of the output light. I want mine to look like that. How?

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Retrofit

Mine with E55

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
lowefx, you have to be lucky enough to find a set. I found mine a few years ago on ebay. They are getting harder to find, especially the ones where you can make the cutoff flat.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont want the cut off flat, i was just wondering how you made the cut off. Mine are currently RHD and now that i have HID's, i want to make it LHD. If i grind the RHD down with a grinder, then the cut off will be higher. But i wonder if anyone has welded a piece of new cut-off in there. im just trying to find the best option.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
a sturdy piece of gauged stainless steel or aluminum and a laser cutter. it's the only way you're going to get it nuts on.

I didn't make the cutoff, it's stock with these types of bosch projectors. They have a lever built in where you can make the cutoff flat or raised.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How are you gonna keep that sheet metal or aluminum in there? Weld it?

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
with screws. if you look at the pedestals coming off of the projector glass, you'll see the bottom two screws that secure the shield in place

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
that they are :)

only the ECE Bosch projectors have this feature. The rest are DOT cutoffs, flat, 90*step and flat. The ECE's have the "Z" shaped cutoff.

You can also color mod projectors as well. You can bend the shield slightly forward for a nice color band at the center of the cutoff. I've done mine and has a nice purple/blue at the cutoff with a warm burgundy trailing off to the sides.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Dudes, you can make a cutoff plate with a pop can if you want. The sharper the edge the more color your going to have because its easier for light to bend around teh edge. :lol:

Check this thread.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/gallery/118706-homemade-projector-sheilds.html

If you really wanted you could try to make the step with a dremel or other precision cutting tool, but its going to be a bit tough to get it perfect.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Zach, I have always bent the shield twords the bowl more, but I suppose it all depends on the location of the focal point produced by the bowl.

Edit- however this is also moot because when you washer mod for color your spacing it out from the bowl. :lol: I must have got lucky with the hella 90mms in that thread.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
If you want more color, just go with RX330, S2000 or SC430 with clear lens, modding the shield will affect your range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts