Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had a 6 for awhile now. i did the atx to mtx swap, and in the process of doing that, i noticed that the atx throttle body has the primary and secondary butterflies reversed from the mtx.

ie (from the factory manual pg 4B-7)

atx
primary 46 mm
secondary 40 mm

mtx
primary 40 mm
secondary 46 mm

the way i have figured this out is that because the atx is a slushbucket, it doesnt requrie as soft a throttle to smooth the shifts like a mtx does, therefore it has a bigger primary in order to improve throttle response with respect to the mtx

therefore, if you want some kickass throttle response on your mtx, at the cost of some smoothness, swap over to an atx throttle body.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Old news.

An even easier way to do this is to change out the screw that opens the second butterfly on the linkage with a longer screw. This makes both butterfly's open at once.

Not smooth, but it has very fast throttle response.

I did it for a few weeks, decided it was too hard on my clutch for any benefit, and changed it back.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
well i was thinking of that last time, wont it make u run a little leaner down low if both open at the same time?? i mean its gives u more air, but will u get more fuel for that air?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mazda_MX6_Turbo said:
well i was thinking of that last time, wont it make u run a little leaner down low if both open at the same time?? i mean its gives u more air, but will u get more fuel for that air?
Think before you post.

The air has to run through the VAF first, no matter how much air that is being pulled in.

Think before you post.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
actually the screw mod is great, but u do notice a bit more OOmph with the atx swap. dont ask why, i dont know, but there still is a difference, at least to my butt dyno:D

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
FlySwat said:
Think before you post.

The air has to run through the VAF first, no matter how much air that is being pulled in.

Think before you post.
dude, i really didnt know thats y i asked.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Flyswat, not everyone understands the idea of metered air.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I also tried the screw mod and hated it. I went to the hardware store, got the screw, installed it in the parking lot and took it back off as soon as I got home. lol
If you are willing to give up gas mileage for more throttle response then go for it. I would rather use my foot to be honest. It's the same thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts