Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car a 88 Mazda mx-6 lx auto (127,00miles) it doesn’t seem to engage in 3rd gear or overdrive on the normal (D)rive selector, its just slips completely and revs, but if I put the Hold on in the 3rd gear select I can start off and it work slip. I took it to a mechanic that did previous work on the car and he said I need a new Trans. Also the (R) light on the dash doesn't come on when in reverse, my hold light doesn’t flash and there are no CEL's. Could this be an ECU problem or connectors or is the tranny just toast. I know there have been a few threads about similar problems, I changed the fluid and filter, magnets were very dirty and the fluid was really dark and gunked up. I can get a replacement Trans for $250; also can get the shop manual from the downtown library. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i am experiencing a similiar issue with my car if you read the thread on this page, i am on track to thinking it may be the inhibitor switch, but i can't really get any solid info. on the subject of the switch. None of the PRND21 lights on my dash work except the 2 and when i put the shifter in that gear the car seems to operate normally, but it's in second gear so freeway driving is a little rough with the high rpms. the issue with the lights began at the same time my car starting acting up which is what leads me to believe that it is something electrical and not mechanical, But i'm not sure, the inhibitor switch is where i'm at now. The switch is a dealer only item and it is $90

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the inhibitor switch the one that is under the shifter or is this something on the transmission. Is there any way to test this before buying a replacement? Thanks (nm searched and its on the transmission)....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.