Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few questions about this.

On the MTX Transmisson there are two sensors, one on the front and one on the back. Which one is the speed sensor and which one is the reverse light switch?

Second Part is that they have the same connection but there is no mate for which ever one needs to be plugged in.

Third, so I just wire 6 and 9 together?

-Plug in vehicle speed sensor.
-Don’t plug in reverse light switch.. To resolve that, use the 2 wires from the reverse light switch, plug into the to the 1 and 4 for continuity( for the harness in the illustraion below)
-Use 2 wires and jump 6 and 9 to trick the comp, so you can start the car.
-2-3 harnesses do not plug into anything, just leave it

The orange harness that looks like this:
------------
|1 2 3 4 5|
|6 7 _ 8 9|
-----------
BOTTOM

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
On the MTX Transmisson there are two sensors, one on the front and one on the back. Which one is the speed sensor and which one is the reverse light switch?
There are 3.
Second Part is that they have the same connection but there is no mate for which ever one needs to be plugged in.
Since you said they're the same, you must be referring to the Reverse Light Switch (front, white) and the Neutral Safety Switch (rear, black).

I don't believe the NSS has any actual functionality with a stock ECU... nothing that comes to mind at least.

The VSS is on the top of the transmission just past the end of the motor. It basically sits on top of the diff.

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
One more question.

"-Use 2 wires and jump 6 and 9 to trick the comp, so you can start the car."

Do I connect 6 and 9 or do I run them to a 12v supply?

Or do I just wire them to each other? Is this where I could wire in the NSS?

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Those are the neutral wires from the ATX harness, right? You *should* attach them to your clutch switch for starting.

But, if you don't care about that, the neutral switch will work just fine and you'll no longer have to press the clutch to start the car, you'll just have to be in neutral.

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I just found this,

Thanks again PGT.

-Then the nss (which I believe is the black plug you see on the side) should have two gray (i think they're gray may be black) wires coming off it. these two wires need to be spliced into the 6 and 9 wires on the old tranny plug. These two wires are the lower guage (bigger) wires on the plug and so are easy to identify. If the wires were cut off you will have to either replace the switch or splice the 6&9 wires together, bypassing the nss (you will be able to start the car in gear this way, I don't recommend it)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts