Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys hopefully no one gets to upset about me posting this here but I’m in need of some help big time. Ive got a 92 MX3 k8de v6. I’ve done tons of research, searched the forum all over to no avail of anyone with a similar problem as me. So here it is

The auto to manual swap is done. Went to start the car and the car wouldn’t start. The starter won’t turn over or even click no matter what I try. So here’s everything ive established so far.

The inhibitor switch is in the park position.
Every plug is plugged back in except the speed sensor for the auto tranny and one other plug for the auto tranny(I assume a temp sensor?) which shouldn’t matter anyway.
The ignition lock is depressed(usually stops the key from coming out unless in park)
I have tried different starters so it’s not the starter for sure.
I have unplugged and cleaned all connections. Checked all grounds and cleaned.
I’ve gone over everything for hours on end

There isn’t to much I haven’t tried or thought of. I even swapped the ecu back to auto and plugged back in the auto tranny module/computer thinking maybe the inhibitor switch wasn’t reading due to the manual ecu being installed, well that didn’t work either. I have unplugged and cleaned all connections. Checked all grounds and cleaned. I’m at a total loss for words as to what the issue could be, my only assumption is the car isn’t reading that it’s in park. And I reallly don’t want to swap auto to manual harnesses as I feel that’s a lot of unnecessary work and worried that I may do all that work to have the same problem lol. Help would be greatly appreciated!! I miss driving my car !

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Hey guys hopefully no one gets to upset about me posting this here but I’m in need of some help big time. Ive got a 92 MX3 k8de v6. I’ve done tons of research, searched the forum all over to no avail of anyone with a similar problem as me. So here it is

The auto to manual swap is done. Went to start the car and the car wouldn’t start. The starter won’t turn over or even click no matter what I try. So here’s everything ive established so far.

The inhibitor switch is in the park position.
Every plug is plugged back in except the speed sensor for the auto tranny and one other plug for the auto tranny(I assume a temp sensor?) which shouldn’t matter anyway.
The ignition lock is depressed(usually stops the key from coming out unless in park)
I have tried different starters so it’s not the starter for sure.
I have unplugged and cleaned all connections. Checked all grounds and cleaned.
I’ve gone over everything for hours on end

There isn’t to much I haven’t tried or thought of. I even swapped the ecu back to auto and plugged back in the auto tranny module/computer thinking maybe the inhibitor switch wasn’t reading due to the manual ecu being installed, well that didn’t work either. I have unplugged and cleaned all connections. Checked all grounds and cleaned. I’m at a total loss for words as to what the issue could be, my only assumption is the car isn’t reading that it’s in park. And I reallly don’t want to swap auto to manual harnesses as I feel that’s a lot of unnecessary work and worried that I may do all that work to have the same problem lol. Help would be greatly appreciated!! I miss driving my car !

I read all your steps but it doesn't matter, without having to figure out what you did or didn't do or even worrying it, without knowing the mx3 ignition system here is what you need to do to confirm the car runs and bypass whatever the problem is properly** and safely***.

Step 1: Confirm the car starts and runs.

Take a 6 foot length of wire and on one end install a female speaker connector like this:

Unplug the small connector that goes to the starter.
Put the Female connector on that spot on the starter.
Put the car in neutral and pull the handbrake or block the wheels.
Put the ignition (key) in 3rd position.
Touch the other end of the 6foot wire to the + side of the battery.

The car should start and run.

If the starter doesn't turn over, confirm the large starter wire has permanent on 12v+ going to it and that the motor is properly grounded.

If the car starts and runs then

Step 2: Bypass the problem.

Note the color of the wire on the small connector (It's black with red stripe on the 88-92 F2's).
Find that wire at the ignition on the steering column, it should be soldered on the back side of the ignition (opposite side the key goes in) using a mutimeter or test light, check that 12V+ is present when you move the key to the start position (to turn the engine over position), if 12V + is present then cut the wire and run it to one side of the safety neutral switch on the clutch pedal, run more wire from the other side of the safety neutral switch to the small connector for the starter.

If 12V + isn't present when turning the key all the way then I recommend installing a momentary/momentum switch and 4 wire 60amp relay. Push button start.

Step 3: Bypass the ignition.

A 4 wire relay has 1 in (1), 1 out (2) and 1 +12V signal (3) and 1 ground signal (4). The + (3)and - (4)signal turns the relay on and the in (1) and out (2) pass whatever you connect to it.
Piggy back/splice a wire off the permanent on 12V+ signal going to the ignition (usually the largest gauge/thickest wire) and run it to the in wire (1) of the relay.
and connect the 12V+ signal wire (3) of the relay to it also.
Connect a wire from the relay out (2) wire to the safety neutral switch, from the safety neutral switch to the stater.
Find a good frame ground point and run a grounded wire to one side of the momentum/momentary switch, run a wire from the other side of the switch to the relay ground signal (4).
When the momentary switch is pushed down ground will activate the relay and turn the engine over, when the switch is released the relay deactivates and the starter stops turning.

To start the car, put the key in the 3rd position (Driving position), push the clutch pedal down and hold down the momentum switch (usually a button) once the engine starts, release the momentum switch as you would the key.

With this set up the car will turn over with the clutch pedal down and the momentum switch pushed without any key in the ignition but of course wont start.
To avoid this you can use a switched 12+ to the 12V+ signal (3) wire on the relay. more wiring, the choice is yours.

**Use crimp connectors or solder or marrettes and electric tape to join wires, never just twist them and tape them. Make sure all exposed solder or crimp connections are well taped or shrink wrapped to prevent possible electrical shorts. You can use small wire for step 1, but any wire you add to the starting/ignition system should be the same size as any wire it replaces, so it should all be the same gauge as the wire at the small starter connector with exception of the relay signal + - (3 & 4) wires carry little load and you can use small wire.
***Make sure you run through the clutch pedal safety neutral switch (it to is a momentum/momentary switch) you don't want to be able to start the car in gear without the clutch pedal down, or one day you will forget and the car will jump a couple feet and hit whatever is in front of it and you will learn exactly how much torque a little starter motor actually has.

You can follow these simple instructions and get your car started or take it to a shop and pay "professionals" to retrace every step you made, learn whats needed to get the car started and scratch their head and nuts like you are wondering whats wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read all your steps but it doesn't matter, without having to figure out what you did or didn't do or even worrying it, without knowing the mx3 ignition system here is what you need to do to confirm the car runs and bypass whatever the problem is properly** and safely***.

Step 1: Confirm the car starts and runs.

Take a 6 foot length of wire and on one end install a female speaker connector like this:

Unplug the small connector that goes to the starter.
Put the Female connector on that spot on the starter.
Put the car in neutral and pull the handbrake or block the wheels.
Put the ignition (key) in 3rd position.
Touch the other end of the 6foot wire to the + side of the battery.

The car should start and run.

If the starter doesn't turn over, confirm the large starter wire has permanent on 12v+ going to it and that the motor is properly grounded.

If the car starts and runs then

Step 2: Bypass the problem.

Note the color of the wire on the small connector (It's black with red stripe on the 88-92 F2's).
Find that wire at the ignition on the steering column, it should be soldered on the back side of the ignition (opposite side the key goes in) using a mutimeter or test light, check that 12V+ is present when you move the key to the start position (to turn the engine over position), if 12V + is present then cut the wire and run it to one side of the safety neutral switch on the clutch pedal, run more wire from the other side of the safety neutral switch to the small connector for the starter.

If 12V + isn't present when turning the key all the way then I recommend installing a momentary/momentum switch and 4 wire 60amp relay. Push button start.

Step 3: Bypass the ignition.

A 4 wire relay has 1 in (1), 1 out (2) and 1 +12V signal (3) and 1 ground signal (4). The + (3)and - (4)signal turns the relay on and the in (1) and out (2) pass whatever you connect to it.
Piggy back/splice a wire off the permanent on 12V+ signal going to the ignition (usually the largest gauge/thickest wire) and run it to the in wire (1) of the relay.
and connect the 12V+ signal wire (3) of the relay to it also.
Connect a wire from the relay out (2) wire to the safety neutral switch, from the safety neutral switch to the stater.
Find a good frame ground point and run a grounded wire to one side of the momentum/momentary switch, run a wire from the other side of the switch to the relay ground signal (4).
When the momentary switch is pushed down ground will activate the relay and turn the engine over, when the switch is released the relay deactivates and the starter stops turning.

To start the car, put the key in the 3rd position (Driving position), push the clutch pedal down and hold down the momentum switch (usually a button) once the engine starts, release the momentum switch as you would the key.

With this set up the car will turn over with the clutch pedal down and the momentum switch pushed without any key in the ignition but of course wont start.
To avoid this you can use a switched 12+ to the 12V+ signal (3) wire on the relay. more wiring, the choice is yours.

**Use crimp connectors or solder or marrettes and electric tape to join wires, never just twist them and tape them. Make sure all exposed solder or crimp connections are well taped or shrink wrapped to prevent possible electrical shorts. You can use small wire for step 1, but any wire you add to the starting/ignition system should be the same size as any wire it replaces, so it should all be the same gauge as the wire at the small starter connector with exception of the relay signal + - (3 & 4) wires carry little load and you can use small wire.
***Make sure you run through the clutch pedal safety neutral switch (it to is a momentum/momentary switch) you don't want to be able to start the car in gear without the clutch pedal down, or one day you will forget and the car will jump a couple feet and hit whatever is in front of it and you will learn exactly how much torque a little starter motor actually has.

You can follow these simple instructions and get your car started or take it to a shop and pay "professionals" to retrace every step you made, learn whats needed to get the car started and scratch their head and nuts like you are wondering whats wrong.[/QUOTE]

So first off I gotta say that was an awesome guide. Turns out the starters (had to try three) or solenoids were toast. With direct power to the starter it still would not turn over. Tried wacking it with a hammer didn’t do anything .So I pulled the starter from my spare car threw it in and it worked. You also just told me how to wire up the neutral saftey switch which I needed to know lol. greatly appreciate the response thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol tried to quote your response, clearly didn’t work, having some trouble figuring out how to use the forum. My response is at the bottom of my last post

1 - 4 of 4 Posts