Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an automatic 93 MX6 with 116k on the clock a few weeks ago with the intention swaping it over to manual. Jap Spec cars are all over the place here in NZ so picking up a KLZE MX6 is rather easy. Ive decided to wait for a Donor manual MX6 or 626 to become availible so I can (or pay someone too) swap everything over. Are there different ECUs between manual and automatic MX6s? Do Jspec 626s use the same ECU as the Jspec MX6s and develop the same amount of power? I presumed engine and trans was the same excluding the 5th gear ratio. Does anyone know roughly how many hours it would take a mechanic to complete a conversion like this? I may have to pay someone to do it as it may take me to long to preform. ECU, pedal box,clutch, clutch booster, electrics, shifter etc etc... Any advise or help from anyone would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
It really doesn't take that long to do. I did mine, first time i've ever worked on a 6. In total, it took me about ~8 hours. As for the ecu's i'm not entirely sure as mine is north american.

All the extra work you are talking about, isn't really that bad. I found the hardest part for me was squeezing in between the dash and floor to get a good vantage point to remove/install pedals. The atx brake on mine was a royal PITA, but everything else went fairly smoothly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts