Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cassette player, which I use to play CDs, crapped out this morning. I've searched a couple of salvage resources for a replacement and found that they run ~$125.00.

Once removed from the dash, can the unit's receiver, cassette and EQ sections be separated, hence my needing to replace only the malfunctioning section?

This is really the one portion of the vehicle I have not torn apart over my 14 years of ownership and I don't know that much about it.

Regards...

G

·
$125 will get you a decent cd player, with better quality sound then your current tape deck. You can use a dummy panel to fill in the extra spot.

·
Registered
268 Posts
In my '91 GT the receiver and tape deck are unit, and the EQ is a second. You pull both units out together, and then there is a bracket on either side that screws into both units holding them together. It's pretty easy to get out, the only trick I had was removing the little storage compartment underneath it to get at some more screws...you just put your thumbs in it and pull out while exerting a little pressure outwards towards the windows. Should slide out pretty easily. Hope the '88/'89 is similar or easier for you.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I agree that spending $125 for a used 10+ year old tape deck is probably not a great idea. A CD player could be had for that much, and will work with the factory speakers/amp setup using a standard aftermarket stereo installation harness. The only thing you would have to wire up custom is the turn-on lead for the factory subwoofer (easily done).

Here is a schematic diagram of the "Type 4" system that included the tape deck and CD player. Yours with the tape deck is probably similar, just without the CD player in the reciever. Hopefully 88-89 and 90-92 have the same setup. You would obviously not be able to keep the equalizer with an aftermarket unit. The aftermarket CD deck installation kits do cover the blank space quite well with a "dummy" panel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts