Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may have already been covered... but i'm blonde and half irish :p
I've just bought a 89 MX6 turbo and the auto box has died in a major way.
It's going to cost me around $4300 to get a reconditioned box put in :(
So I thought about converting it to manual and rang a few wreckers.
One quoted me $2k for the gearbox, clutch, etc.
The 2nd place said it wasn't worth converting to manual because i'd need a crossmember, new computer, yada yada yada.
If anyone can tell me whether it would be possible to convert the thing for under $4k????

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Possible... yes.

Worth it... no.

Also, I've had the auto box rebuilt in my mothers TX5 (same as the MX6) for under $2500, and that was a full rebuild. Labour to get it in and out won't be that much.

Tripharn

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure if a rebuild is possible for my tranny :(
The place i bought it from said that the tranny was completely burnt out.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Gearbox, clutch, pedal box, gear lever and control arms, flywheel, slave cylinder, master cylinder, etc etc

It has been done.. it's not too big a job, and could be done in a day quite easy..
At the end of the day, It all depends on how much you can get all the parts for.

John

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yeah, buying a parts car would be a great way to go. Wouldn't cost as much as a full rebuild for your box, and you can sell the leftover stuff on the forum. (First dibs on the driver's side window switches!) Might be a bit messy for your driveway but you'd clear the extra stuff in no time.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds like an idea... now does anyone know someone selling a "parts car"

being in tassie there aren't too many 1st gen mx6's around.

·
Registered
105 Posts
don't listen to them mate,i've done the same thing to my car.....not really that hard and its worth it. makes it easier if you can find a wreck to take every thing out of it though.

if ya need any advice give us a holler-good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
And... the 1st gen MX-6 was a 626GT in the UK, so, as long as the gearbox is the same, any GD 626 should be fine as the donor.

On all the later GE models (626 and MX-6) the gearboxes were the same, only the final drive ratios are different for the smaller engine sizes.. The pedal box, clutch cylinders etc will fit fine.

Just gives you a few more options to look at. :)

John

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Just note for you all
I'm not positive if it effects other Mx-6s but all AUs delivered ones had a few things different
Manuals didn't have the following the auto's did 2 speed Fan, minorly different crusie set-up which should just switch over anyway. Drive shafts are all different.
One other thing is that the Throttle body is reversed on Manual to auto. So when changing do note it will not be the same, and you may find it reacting differently.
Late model Auto's had the contorl unit for the ECAT inside the ECU.
IF your asking if it's worth is I spent $10K on my auto due to several rebuilds. My answer to that is yep it's big money but I it woudl have been $1700 for the box $2000 for diff + $2000 for rebuild + $2000for install and rest of the gear. I dont' think it was worth it afterall, for me it was not going to make driving easier, for me.
I might do it one day but I would find it easier to buy another Mx-6 manual and drive that as my manual Mx-6.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it might just be easier to get another auto tranny.... and just make the mx6 my daily driver.... since a friend of mine is looking at importing a few nissan cefiro's as drift cars.... and for only $5-6k landed in aus :D I might get one of them for my manual thrasher (and drifter)

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Never heard of one, so I've just had a looky round for some info..

newer A32 model is the Maxima, FWD and we got those here in the UK, as you did down under.. older A31 model is RWD

John

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A31 is the one i'm talking about.... Looks like a 4 door silvia
but with rb20 and skyline drivetrain.

here is one a friend of mine is in the process of importing to aus (this one has a rb26dett GTR engine in it)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Man that looks sik!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'm thinking of getting a simalir custom bodykit made for my 6, doing the s13/a31 headlight conversion and dumping the car on a set of 18x10s i've got sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
FredMX6 said:
A31 is the one i'm talking about.... Looks like a 4 door silvia
but with rb20 and skyline drivetrain.

here is one a friend of mine is in the process of importing to aus (this one has a rb26dett GTR engine in it)
Nice. Much problem getting them certified and registered? How much extra are you looking at?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my best friend just graduated uni as a mechanical engineer... and apparently he can approve that sorta shizzle... so it will only cost me for the parts... as im going to convince him to help me install it all (since i introduced him to his wife)
so it will only cost me the parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this may have already been covered... but i'm blonde and half irish :p
I've just bought a 89 MX6 turbo and the auto box has died in a major way.
It's going to cost me around $4300 to get a reconditioned box put in :(
So I thought about converting it to manual and rang a few wreckers.
One quoted me $2k for the gearbox, clutch, etc.
The 2nd place said it wasn't worth converting to manual because i'd need a crossmember, new computer, yada yada yada.
If anyone can tell me whether it would be possible to convert the thing for under $4k????
I,ve just completed the conversion on my 93 mx6, took me 2 days. Took all the parts out of a 92 mx6 donor at pick a part, cost $380. the auto elec has started it, but says he has to find the correct wiring diagram, as it wont rev more than an idle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts