Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
I was just wondering and curious because my friend and i-we are going to convert my 94mx6 from automatic to 5speed manuel and wanted to know what are things i need to know when removing the tranny?(ie do i have to take the engine out first then the tranny?) The other thing is, wats the hardest obstical i will encounter and how do i solve it? thankx in advance everyone :cool: -MazdaPower

·
baaaaaaaaaad Honda.
3,857 Posts
hey,
You should PM ISYPNU. he just did this mod. at the beginning of the summer. I was also looking in to it, but I don't want to lower the resale value of the car.(in case I ever wanna sell it.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
the auto to 5spd swap is something that requires a good mechanics knowledge of transmissions. there is a lot involved, but if you're looking to do something major to the car it's worth it. I'm keeping my atx for right now and turboing it by xmas. Then I'll see how well it holds up and how much a torque converter will run me. a converter is much cheaper if you're having it done, it only requires the trans to be dropped then popping off the old one and bolting on the new one. if you're not turboing or adding nos it's really not worth all the money, especially with all the bolt ons you could do. that's just my opinion though, look into prices and do some research on your trans. i wish you the best of luck.
matt

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks alot matt. i'm new and so i've been reading all this car stuff and it seems now that i have an atx tranny right? so when i get a manuel tranny it will be a mtx? well anywaays if u go with the torque converter-how much does it cost and how much torque will you gain and one last thing-will u get off the line fast as the hondaz? thankx alot
-john

G

·
Hey , I too would like to make this conversion. I know I need the brake and clutch pedals, the clutch reservoir, and the tranny. But will I need to get the oil pick-up tube? My dad has a saab 900 that has the 5 sp put in it and he had to get this oil Pick up tube , for the automatics pick up would cause a oil pressure drop on the manual tranny. And what helps the most is there is a manual in the pull a part close by. Thanks for any help, Chris

Oh, would I need a different radiator because mine has the atx cooler built in with the radiator.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THESE ARE PRICE ESTIMATES IN CANADIAN DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I WOULD BUY SOME FROM DEALER AS NOT BIG PRICE DIFFERENCE
-5 spd transmission ($400)
-left and right front axles ($150) hard to find, that's why good if can find one junker and take all from it

-flywheel ($75)
-master cylinder ($50)

-slave cylinder(dealer)
-driver's side engine mount and bracket (tranny mount) (dealer)
-3 slave cylinder lines (dealer)
-starter ($50)

-brake fluid resevior (dealer)

-aftermarket clutch kit w/t pressure plate ($500)
-shifter and shifter linkage expensive from dealer, try to find

-pedals
-redline MT90 tranny fluid or royal purple

IN THANKS TO MAZDAMXSIX

G

·
Im doing the swap right now as we speak. For most of the parts, I went to the junkyard to get. All in all it cost me about $700, but I shopped around for a long time beforehand. It IS a very labor intense job. You need at least 2 supports, one for the engine and the other for the tranny. If you do it, good luck. I found that this link has some good deals on used parts.

www.autopartsearch.com

G

·
Hey Agent Orange, Im wondering what you did for the Neutral Park switch for the automatic. how did you hook up the reverse light switch needed for the manual tranny? did you have to get a different wiring harness to hook up anything, or just tie back some off to the side. And are you using your auto radiator or did you find one for the manual version. Thanks for any help, ~Chris~

G

·
Well as far as the neutral park switch, you just unhook it from the auto and plug it into the sensor, and leave it in park. Although if your OBDII then you will only be able to rev to 6 grand I beleive. To fix this you have to wire you starter directly to the ignition, and then you can set it in drive. As far as reverse lights, I havent got that far yet, but i know there was a guy on probetalk who fixed this problem. Just go there and do a search. Id put up a link for you but there seems to be a few bugs and the links to posts are only bringing up the main URL. The major areas I have had trouble on were my hub nuts, those things need mad torc to get them off, I had to use a 3 foot steel pipe on my breaker. Also the clutch pedal was a bitch to get in but i did a little work with my trusty angle grinder that consisted of taking off the side lip and one of the cylender mounting bolts. You can still use your radiator, just disconnect you cooler lines. Although Im in need of a new one so I will be installing a mtx one.

G

·
MazdaPower, you do not need to remove your engine. You will need to support it because one the transmission is out its only hanging by one mount. I recommend getting all the proper tools needed to take this on. A full metric 6 PT socket set is a must. Those 12 pts just will strip some of the harder to get off bolts. Also a 1/2 in breaker bar will help out alot and a compressor with an impact wrech speeds things up. The car will have to be jacked up pretty high for the tranny to clear. I have mine up about 15-20 inches and the auto is pretty heavy so get someone to help you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts