Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
hey, you got some great shots there! nice looking stock vehicle! any suspension mods?

·
Registered
621 Posts
yeah really nice pics.

I had no idea the '6 could get up so much body roll!

Perhaps it would have been a good idea to do some cool-down laps before parking the car!! I hope your rotors aren't cooked. It intrigues me that you took photos of your brakes burning instead of fixing the problem!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Dude, how the hell did your brakes get that hot in an autocross? I'm really hard on the brakes when i Auto-x but I havent even gotten them to fade. That's wild.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first 4 pics are autocrossing. The rest of the pics are at a road course.

Suspension: Intrax springs, Tokico Illuminas set at 5f/4r, Addco rear bar, f/r strut bars, Mazdamotorsport strut bearings, competition alignment settings.

The body roll is from driving the snot outta of it. "Turningin" was shot after braking from about 90mph to make a tight shicane onto the 1/2 mile straight where "slidinit" was shot.

I always did cooldown laps and then drove the car around for about 5 minutes at parking lot speeds. I challenge anyone (figuratively) to floor it to 110mph then anti-lock brake to about 40 again and again for 20-30 minutes and not get hot brakes. And,... someone else shot the pictures.

The damage was mostly to the left front. I pushed the brake piston THROUGH the brakepad, melted the piston, boiled the racing fluid (boiling temp 484deg), glazed all four pads, bent the right front pad, left front pad had to be pried OUT of the piston and came out of the caliper in 2 pieces,... one piece was bent at a about a 45deg angle. Both front pads were about 4000 miles old and were worn down to the pad backing. The rotors got so hot that the brake pad material actually bonded to the rotor. Oh yeah, and both rear calipers siezed.

Dan

·
Registered
446 Posts
But you had fun, right? :)

How do you like the Addco? Any problems with streetability? Excessive oversteer, etc?

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you were to do it again (and presumably you will), what will be signs you'll look for to stop this happening again.

I can just see myself doing something like this and it'd be good to know what to look out for.

(were you using racing fluid?)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went throught car VERY thouroughly before racing. I checked EVERYTHING,... from oil, vacuum lines, power steering fluid, trans fluid, spark plugs, brake pads, bushings bearings, tires, and even the damned wiper blades.

I think what I'd do differently is run more of a "race" brake pad. Like Porterfields or Hawk pads. The pads I had that day were PBR/Axxis/Repco Metalmasters, good (inexpensive) pads.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Also. On the first few pics, you were running stock wheels. Did you have your suspension mods then, or did those come with the new wheels&tires?
Why do you have a passenger?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All mods were on the car with the OEM wheels. The passenger is a bud that also races,... I had to show him the drift onto the front straight. =)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the Addco alot. But would recommend anyone who buys a rear sway bar to REALLY understand what it does. Otherwise you could spin your car and stuff it into a curb, tree, light pole,... The bar is a little unbalanced from a racing standpoint. It almost seems that it was made for the Probe with the heavier (stiffer) front bar and not so stiff chassis. I've since found adjustable torque-tube style sway bars that will replace the OEM front bar and the Addco rear. $300 a piece though,... ouch.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I like the Addco alot. But would recommend anyone who buys a rear sway bar to REALLY understand what it does
Please explain, as thoroughly as you're able, what the rear sway bar really does.

Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow, I love those pics. It is always great to see six not only going trough the motions but proving that it is a good car to autocross. We need more action pics like these!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts