Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1995 mazda mx6 2.5 ls i dont want to spend the money on a 5 speed so i am looking for a shift kit for the automatic and were to find on im not good with the internet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it suposedly changes the flow of fluid in the valve body i heard it from an old guy that put one on his grand national

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
I knew a guy who said he put one in his auto Beretta a long time ago. Apparently it's supposed to make the shifts quicker in the auto.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
It's common in the domestic world even with new electronic trannies.

I dont know what exactly can be done in the case of the newer electronic Mazda G4 series transmissions but if your brave you can start experimenting.

I doubt you can alter shift timing without hacking the PCU but you should be able to effect the pressure range the trans a fair bit before the PCU starts throwing codes.

Find the main line pressure regulator (it should be in the pump housing and is accesable in many trannies while in the car) and experiment with shimming the spring to increase line pressure.

Next you can find any restrictions put in place to modulate engagement/disengagement of the clutch packs and open up any drainage ports in order to create crisper shifts.

Then you might tear the trans down and add clutches where possible to increase holding power and overall stregnth and possibly installing larger servo pistons for the same reason.

Since it's difficult to change the fluid's PSI through the PCU you will be increasing the surface area that force is being applied to for a similar effect.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's common in the domestic world even with new electronic trannies.

I dont know what exactly can be done in the case of the newer electronic Mazda G4 series transmissions but if your brave you can start experimenting.

I doubt you can alter shift timing without hacking the PCU but you should be able to effect the pressure range the trans a fair bit before the PCU starts throwing codes.

Find the main line pressure regulator (it should be in the pump housing and is accesable in many trannies while in the car) and experiment with shimming the spring to increase line pressure.

Next you can find any restrictions put in place to modulate engagement/disengagement of the clutch packs and open up any drainage ports in order to create crisper shifts.

Then you might tear the trans down and add clutches where possible to increase holding power and overall stregnth and possibly installing larger servo pistons for the same reason.

Since it's difficult to change the fluid's PSI through the PCU you will be increasing the surface area that force is being applied to for a similar effect.
AKA get a five speed. It'll be alot easier and likely cheaper.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am on the same page as the guys saying get a manual. If you want to rev the car out more for speed/power reasons, get a manual MX-6. Don't waste time on the Auto. Don't even convert from auto to manual. Just buy a car that comes with manual.

You will save money by simply selling up and getting a manual MX-6. You're probably going to run into some problems too if you try and rape the auto for speed etc.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I havent seen it done often with these cars but for serious dragracing and outputs past 500HP an auto is almost allways better.

Weakness can be rather easily dealt with compared to the G series 5 speed and proabably for a lot less money.

Some 5 speed guys are running custom gear sets now from australia in order to accomodate 400-500 HP with out breakaga anf those gears run a couple hundred dollars each. A complete trans if you build it your self sems to run around $7,000 including an aus build LSD.

For pure drag racing I'd fabricate a spool or do some welding and concentrate on setting line lressure where I want it and on getting as much clutch material into the packs as possible.

Breakage after that loint almost never has to do with the gears so the need to spend thousands on aftermarket or custom gear sets is reduced.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
I have this kit in my car, but i havent been able to test it yet. its about halfway down the page here: Ford Lincoln Mercury Shift Kits

SK®GF4A-EL

This kit really isnt meant to improve anything, just meant to fix the things that the engineers didnt do right the first time around

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
I have, but i dont remember what it all does. something like making the 1-2 shift better i believe

I dont plan on doing it, my VAF is un-hacked up right now and thats how it gonna stay.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Actually I think it works for all the gears because it does away with the pre-shift fuel cut. I haven't had the nerve to do it, since I've been having enough trouble with the car as it is. It's really just a matter of cutting a wire, though. I don't think you actually mess with the VAF itself.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
You dont know my luck. I can look at things and shit will go wrong all over the place.

On the other hand, I can have my friend touch my car when its running bad, and at that moment, everything will work as it should again.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Actually I think it works for all the gears because it does away with the pre-shift fuel cut. I haven't had the nerve to do it, since I've been having enough trouble with the car as it is. It's really just a matter of cutting a wire, though. I don't think you actually mess with the VAF itself.
There is no fuel cut with auto cars as there is no lift during shifts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts