Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was wondering if there are any different collor shift knobs for an automatic mx6 out there and where i can find then i have lookd but cant find a thing

·
Registered
26 Posts
I live in Toronto and there is this place called pacific mall. In the mall, they have couple of stores that sells many cool stuff for cars.
They got lots of ATX MTX shift knobs.
If u live near TO, that mall's at Steeles and Kenedy Rd.

·
Registered
133 Posts
web page

does that store in the mall happen to have a website?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does anyone know how to reduce the height of the shifter knob? Seems way to tall, would be nice to take 2 inches or so off of it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only way o know of to shorten the height is u can saw part of it off search around i think some people have done that

·
Registered
475 Posts
Dudes, its damn near impossible to replace the shift knocb with an aftermarket knob with a hold button. Im sure you can find a regular atx knob but I hope u dont mind loosing the hold feature.
As for shortening it, take a hack saw and start cutting. Make sure you take the knob off first and unhook the wire so u dont cut through the wire. THat would be a shame. Anyway, then jsut get some good old super glue and glue the knob back on to the shortened shift stalk. Thats the only thing u can do...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just relocate the hold button. Im not sure you could cut the shifter because it is hollow with a stick thing that runs down the middle of it for the other button that lets you shift out of and into gears. But there are tons of automatic universalshift knobs everywere, look in car mags or go to any car shop but make you you get one where the button is on the top of the knob. Then you could buy a leather shift boot to put on also. check my shift boot out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
actually, the one i'm talking about has the hold button.
u have to pull the whole thing down to shift and press the button on the top to use hold.
pretty good~

·
Registered
12 Posts
im having the same problem..

how do you take off the wires from inside the knob? is there a technique to it cuz i couldnt get it out

·
Banned
5,310 Posts
cool, always nice to bring up an old thrad. Witht he amount of new members we can help alot of them.

hell i have been thinking of thios a bit

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
The easiest way to replace the shifter and shorten it is called a trick shifter (atleast thats what ive heard people call it)

Relocate the button, its only 2 wires.

Buy a shifter for a manual car, hack the shifter shaft to desired height. Cut around the plastic peice inside. Once this is done, place the knob onto the shaft, and push it down as far as it will go. The plastic peice inside is only going to allow it to go so far. however make sure the plastic peices is being pushed down. (unlocking the shifter)_ If it doesnt go down far enough to secure the knob, cut a peice off the top of the plastic until it does. Once done, secure the knob on.

You now have a trick shift, However you no longer have to push the button in to shift. So becautious when driving, not to shift it into park or reverse.

The other way, wich is basically a replacement, is to buy a Ebrake knob.
Do the same thing, however you will need to make a button to erupt out of the ebrake knob top.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
There is a maker which makes auto knobs with OD buttons liek the probe uses but its not specific for it so u can still have the hold feature i don't remember what its called but look in google for RAZO Atx gear knobs as they have the OD button built into there knobs which can be used for your hold button

Here's one of them the button for OD/Hold is the small button underneith the big button

Reactions: Asuna

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't have pictures yet, but I hated how my AT shift knob looked and I hate how every AT shift knob looks so I installed a manual shifter and it works great. All I have to do is push down to change gears. Quite simple to do. And if you want to keep O/D then you will have to re-wire that to a button somewhere.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I like the ATX Shift knob on my sisters MR Lancer looks great actually

·
Registered
12 Posts
is o/d necissary?

what if i just got a normal atx knob and said [fizzle] the overdrive wire?

and thanks for the help

that trick shift thing sounds tight.. :D

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
You could just get a manual and not have to worry about any of it.

that is my old one cut, i dont recommend that, as it kinda sucked. not sure if you could go that low with the auto one either.
and here is my new one, its actually a real sts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts