Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about replacing the automatic shifter handle on my mx-6. It looks a little plain, well I want to replace it with the type found on first gen (91) eclipses, thumb button on top, almost a fighter plane look to it. I know the movement of the hold button to the o/d kill switch location would be relatively easy, but I was worried about the thumb button. Is it a simple electonic switch (doubt it) or is it something far more sinister, like a mechanical one that operates in only one direction?

could someone help me with the feasibility or difficulty of this switch? would it require more money than it is worth?

Thanks

·
Registered
830 Posts
You should be able to do it without any problem. The direction of the moving rod is up/down motion, but because the desigh of the knob, it became side way. I replace mine long time ago, and was fairly easy for me.
shifter

[Edited by coldnoodle on 03-22-2001 at 07:09 PM]

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok I will now give a stupid question (well since I am good at it...)

the shifter in that picture looks like a standard, I was wanting to change an auto shifter. I understand that it may be just a very nice auto shifter, just making sure.

btw, I am almost positive that you described an auto shifter but I just wanted an excuse to tell you what a nice car you have, very nice hood.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Firebrand said:
ok I will now give a stupid question (well since I am good at it...)

the shifter in that picture looks like a standard, I was wanting to change an auto shifter. I understand that it may be just a very nice auto shifter, just making sure.

btw, I am almost positive that you described an auto shifter but I just wanted an excuse to tell you what a nice car you have, very nice hood.
haha, Robert you got him, man it is a auto, he put a Razo shift knob over the stock set up and and leather boot and when he pushes down on the handle it changes gears like from park to drive. i am going to fix mine some day wheni get a knob. coldnoodle if you dont mind let me have direction!!!!!!!! later

·
Registered
133 Posts
where and how?

I've been interesting in changing my automatic shifter knob for quite some time, but how do I know which size fits? Wrenchhead.com has a lot of nice ones, but like I said, how do I know which will fit? Also, does anyone have directions for putting this all together?

·
Registered
26 Posts
nice shifter... looks good.
i found this store in a mall that sells all these stuff from japan for cars and found couple of nice looking shifters as well. ones which you hold down to shift and press the button on the top to hold. it ran about 130 canadian and their garage would install it for about 20 bucks CND. now i've seen the leather cover thingy, i'm gonna have to get that done too~

·
Registered
830 Posts
It all depends on what brand of shifter you use. I use RAZO's knob, and I know that Momo's knobs will not fit. I use manual knob, because I don't like how auto's has a button on top. But there are auto replacement knobs that you can use, also.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I replaced my auto knob with a top button shifter from Pep Boys with a real carbon sleave. Nice piece, works great, only problem, the inside of the knob is just the slightest bit too small. Or you could say that the shifter stalk is to wide. If you have access to a machine shop, you should be able to bore out the knob a bit. I don't so I had to file the stalk in order to narrow it a bit. I then dissasembled the knob and pounded the damn thing on with a rubber mallet. I also used a leather boot like coldnoodle. Like I said, it works great. It's looks a little too tall cause I couldn't get it all the way down onto the stalk, but it's still a hell of a lot better looking than the stock auto assembly.

[Edited by MX-rated on 03-24-2001 at 04:58 AM]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts