Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I resently wasted the roller clutch inside of my automatic! And since I didnt want an automatic to begin with, I decided that I should try and put the 5 speed manual transmission that I wanted in it in the first place! I was wondering how much of a pain in the ass this will be, and what all I will have to change over! I realize that I will obviously need the 5 speed, clutch, shifter, and the clutch pedal. But I'm not sure if i will have to change the PCM or not, and I dont know how hard this is really going to be. I've got my automatic almost completely torn apart seprate from the car, I can rebuild that one but that is going to be a pain in the ass also, and I really dont want the problematic anyway, so if anyone could give me some words of wisdom, that would be greatly appriciated! Thanks!:wave: :smokin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Linuxpunk said:
Thats not what he wants to hear:tdown: Go to mazda626.net you'll find a complete write up about everything you need to get from the scrap yard.

Matt

Thanx man! Thats just what I needed to hear! I know what I'm doing, I can rebuild my automatic and thats no small task! But thats what i needed to know! Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Don't forget things like clutch, flywheel, pedal box, gearshift, and preferably the ECU from a manual...

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Einstein said:
Don't forget things like clutch, flywheel, pedal box, gearshift, and preferably the ECU from a manual...

John
Would I need to get a new flywheel? They should be the same shouldnt they? And I was wondering about the ECU/PCM, would I need to change that also? Or will I be able to get by without changing it? I'd rather not, and I dont see what exactly that would effect going from automatic to manual. Well, If anyone has any morae things to add please feel free! Any little bit of information will help! Thanx A Lot

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
the flex plate will have to be replaced. a flywheel will have to be used. the pcm is different for auto and maunal because the auto controls are inside the pcm. if it isnt changed, it will throw all kinds of codes and probably run funny cause its looking for the inputs from the trans. the wiring harness will also have to be replaced under the hood.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
to answer your first question. yes.. Flywheel on a manual, Dive plate on an auto..
they are totally different.

And the ECU's are different for the reasons as stated by megalomaniac...

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright! Now we're gettin somewhere! so I should get a light-weight racing flywheel and clutch, and a tricked out PCM for a manual trany. And a new wiring harness? Are those completelty different too or what? Has anyone actually done this?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
im in the process of making my DX into a GT, almost the same thing but they r both manual trans. what u r doing is along the same lines of what im doing. its slow and problems will arise while ur doing this. take ur time and make sure u have everything. do ur research!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts