Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here I am about to pick up the mx6 gt........and I find out its a automatic. this is a first for me. all the cars i have owned have been manuals so I gotta ask some questions.

1. does the stock auto have a transmission cooler? if so is it undersized? any one mod a larger one to fit?

2. any certain type of fluid recommended by the big dogs here? redline?

i dont intend to make this a 12 second car, so from what i have read 13s on a stock auto are possible. please bear in mind that this is not going to be my daily.....so a certain amount of more ballsy mods will be done.

thanks for all the help!

chris

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Yes, the auto has a transmission cooler. It is built into the bottom of the radiator. However, adding an external one is not a bad idea at all to extend the life of it.

I would avoid the automatic transmission, especially if you're planning on modifying the car. The auto transmission is often the reason these cars are seen in the junkyard, as they do fail often at this age. Try and find an mx6 gt with the manual transmission.

Also, I don't think "13s" on a stock auto is accurate. More like low 16s.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
magik8 said:
Yes, the auto has a transmission cooler. It is built into the bottom of the radiator. However, adding an external one is not a bad idea at all to extend the life of it.

I would avoid the automatic transmission, especially if you're planning on modifying the car. The auto transmission is often the reason these cars are seen in the junkyard, as they do fail often at this age. Try and find an mx6 gt with the manual transmission.

Also, I don't think "13s" on a stock auto is accurate. More like low 16s.
i meant on a stock automatic transmission! :) haha i see how it came across though..........well i see your point. i may look into rebuilding it with stronger components. anyone do this?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
It has an external cooler as well. Right next to the intercooler.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Beefier ATX's

bonylad said:
i may look into rebuilding it with stronger components. anyone do this?
Hey Bonylad,
If you're intent on spending some $ on an ATX rebuild, check out Probe Talk's "A-Team". Those guys have a dedicated forum especially for discussing ATX issues, such as rebuilding tranny's for the handling of more torque. Check them out !
It can be done, but most folks here will wisely advise matching the MTX to the GT's turbo, for both durability and cost-effectiveness.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Beefier ATX's

johniebgoode said:
Hey Bonylad,
If you're intent on spending some $ on an ATX rebuild, check out Probe Talk's "A-Team". Those guys have a dedicated forum especially for discussing ATX issues, such as rebuilding tranny's for the handling of more torque. Check them out !
It can be done, but most folks here will wisely advise matching the MTX to the GT's turbo, for both durability and cost-effectiveness.
thanks for the heads-up.....i am looking right now at the site, and the pages are filled with what I need to know. alot of it is common sense stuff......

realistically i need to get the car running first........turn the boost up and lighten the load. this will not be a drag car....but it will be nice to "sleep" on some people. already have a 3 inch inlet muffler that looks stock with dual 3 inch outlets.....remove the turbo badge and look out!

thanks again!

chris

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
sleeper mods

Be sure to at least freshen up the ATX with a fuid/filter change. Also, it's recommended to put an auxiliary tranny cooler on it. You don't want the tranny left sleeping while you turn up the juice !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts