Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Has anyone acually upgraded their transmisson cooler i am wanting to run 15psi soon and with my new intercooler my stock transmission cooler is getting quite little air and it is affecting the way my transmission is handling the boost and it is also quite hot at the moment where i live.

and just tp reasure myself the little thing at the front of the car near our stock intercooler is a transmission cooler isnt it ????

I would love to know if a transmission cooler upgrade would do anything to help me cuase if not im going to put my money into a brand new custom radiator.
Cause our cars biggest enemy is heat i took my baby for a drive the other night on a very cold night and godd damm it was unreal the boost was hard the scceleration was insane and i used very little fuel.
The front mount has help dramatically with intake temps and as such even in the middle of the day when it is hot the car still hits on about 1/4 and runs a lot better.

Im going to get a service done on the car as its due for one

Thanks all help would be great

Robbo :p

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I had one fitted to the ATX on my car last year, non turbo of course, doesn't go any faster but will certainly prolong the life of my transmission.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Well it's time to go to some holden wreakers or go out and buy one.

waht you are really in need of - with that type of power out put is
a nice B&M cooler about almsot the surface size of the original intercooler. or close too. but this will cost you up into the $150 mark. Places like rare spares has them- a bit far for you -but I think they do mail order.

The next best is to go to a holden wreaker and look for soem towing pack oil coolers I got mine for $20 same as my mate got his as well.
when I got my box doen last, I got my oil pump modded to flow more oil constantly.

Ford has also sold a good sized oil cooler for there auto in Towing packs look for them as well.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
i got one. i put it in still while the F2 was there. after a couple of hard runs, the box was getting REALLY sloppy, gears were not as hard going in and didn't rev as well.

once i put it in, the box never played up on me........ run after run after run it is smooth and no matter how hard i push it gears still go in hard

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
The Subaru one's are not worth it in my opinion. Fact that only some models have an external cooler standard is sign of desgin fault. Holdens Fords and Toyota's going all the way back to the 70's have had holes and mountings for coolers.

Kind of funny but on a Forester as well ? Most will be auto's okay only 5% will see outback dirt, but most will used in city traffic?
yeah $110 subaru item- worth $40
Subaru = over priced - Hyundai quality jap gear. Right idea just not backed up with jap quality.

BF did your's come with factory cooler. I know all turbo's models did next to intercooler.
Just wonder about all N/A's All Wagon's did, I found most hatches did but most I know are super delux.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
They all have a cooler in the raditator but
I knw on the Wagon's it's proper frotn mounted air cooler simialr to the Turbo version, but positioned horizontal. Looks much better then the turbo models very clean looking unit very factory mounted

1 - 8 of 8 Posts