Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's not much room to run tubing but there are alternate routes, would the auto tranny be able to handle the boost?

Has this even been done before?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whoops sorry, thanks for moving it.

Is it possible though?

·
Registered
138 Posts
sure it's possible! it's going to cost more and be more difficult than turboing a mtx. also battery will almost def need to be relocated. and as far as the tranny holding the power................ good luck!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
The G4 transaxle in the V6 cars is plenty strong though it is known to shift harshly. With lots of power thats good for the clutches as they dont slip as much as is typical in auto tranies but it can be hard on hard parts like input shafts, drums, sprag's etc.

Keep that in mind as you persue this project since lot's of mis informed folks will claim the auto is a pos and that it fails constantly under normal use.

Thats not true. The trans they are reffering to is the ford sourced unit used in 94 and up MX-6 probe and 626 4 bangers. The first year cars in 93 all used the G4 unit regardless of motor.

92 and earlier cars used a hydraulic version of the G4 and cant be directly swapped but are easier to tune.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright I've decided guys, I'm doing an mtx swap during the holidays.

I'm tired of the auto trans and want this thing turbocharged, thanks for the help guys! That probe set up looked like it was whipped up over one weekend lol but it looks good, stock style...very nice I like.

·
Registered
829 Posts
You could also do a remote setup if you didnt want to move things around in the engine bay

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I looked at that probe owner's setup and it the turbo was mounted infront of the motor but he used the stock manifold to save space. I liked his setup although it could be touched up on a bit more due to lack of quality materials, but it looks like a nice simple-looking setup, almost as if it came from the factory that way.

If I get my tranny rebuilt would it be able to hold 7-8 psi on a constant rate for a long period of time? What would 7-8 psi even do for me? It's gonna run me around 800 bucks for the turbo and piping.

·
Registered
138 Posts
performance rebuilt tranny should def hold 8 psi no problem! I'm partial to the mtx myself, but have seen some built atxs hold serious power.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Ultimately I think the auto's will hold more power than the manuals.

Our 5 speeds are fairly weak (though stronger than many other FWD 5 speeds) and the planetary gear sets used in autos are inherently stronger than the gears in a manual.

Either one will hold 8 PSI pretty well as long as you dont beat on it with sticky tires. If you were going for the fastest or most powerful KL record then I'd go with the auto.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay because I'm having my tranny rebuilt for about 8 bills (I lost 4th gear for some reason) so when it's rebuilt I'll maybe get a small ebay turbo and manifold and just run that for a bit, something small to make only about 50 extra horsepower, I will have to relocate my battery though, probably to the back seat on the floor.

You guys know the ebay package I'm talking about though right, the 700 dollar one?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Only the PT setup clears an auto trans. Put the battery in the trunk with a box and vent tube. You dont want to fill your cab with Hydrogen. Lot's of places sell kits.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damnit so this wont clear the auto trans??

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Nope thats the same pipe kit I have.

It goes directly under the trans and wont clear the auto.

It also requires you cut up and modify the front to rear X member and relocate the battery.

EDIT: I searched for a while and couldnt find the PT pipes anywhere. The original seller stopped making them and then they showed up on Ebay for a while but I cant find them any more.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh well thanks a lot for looking anyways dude, I figure if I'm going to do this I might as well buy another mx6 but with a 5spd, I can't stand this auto tranny, I get so bored in the car. I need something to hold onto and wiggle around at stop lights (get those thoughts out of your brain lol).

·
Registered
637 Posts
Nope thats the same pipe kit I have.

It goes directly under the trans and wont clear the auto.

It also requires you cut up and modify the front to rear X member and relocate the battery.

EDIT: I searched for a while and couldnt find the PT pipes anywhere. The original seller stopped making them and then they showed up on Ebay for a while but I cant find them any more.
They were asking like $700 for them on PT and between $5-600 on ebay. With the $200 original design it really isn't any wonder those pipes had a limited production. It's hard to get something going on these cars, sadly.:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts