Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many of you seem to have awesome audio set ups. I'm just getting started on design ideas for mine and I was curious if any of you could post pics of what you did and if you ran into any problems. I swear this is for me to design something original, not to copy someone elses hard work. :) I'm probably going to strip out the back seat. Has anyone got any insight into forseeable problems? Anyways, here's your chance to show whatcha' got guys and gals.

·
Registered
164 Posts
What can be done to your MX6

Hi there Girl Racer.

As always, everything is budget dependant but you might care to have a look at the audio setup in our MX6.
http://www.efmax.co.uk/serv01.htm

It was put together with a no budget limit for pure competition use but the end results are out of this world.

Having stripped an MX6 down to bare metal, there isn't a lot that I am not aware of in terms of possible problems, so if you want a direct dialogue you can always email me direct at [email protected] always willing to share info with other like minded people..

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, you're system is awesome!! You took out your back seat as well? Do you have any pics of the interior? We are in Germany for the next 2 years, so who knows, we may come to a sound off. Do you plan on ever taking your car to the US? Do you think your friends would be willing to do a second alarm? Also, if you have any shows coming up, we'd be interested in the dates and places since we're not that far away. :) I'm just getting started of course so it would be a chance for us see your pretty ride. Thanks for the inspiring info!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Girl Racer

Thanks for the kind words. Funny really I was in Germany for two days over the Xmas period, only in Frankfurt, whilst passing down to Czech Rebulic and a few other countries.. NIce, very nice part of the world.

The car is about to undergo a major tidy up, which means my car thinks its his birthday again.

This time I will be documenting much more as I go along so that others can see. ps.. the back seat was only taken out in order to get the bass box in, it then all goes back into place.

Competition wise, the UK sound offs usually start from about April and the first event is nearly always at Doncaster Racecourse in the Midlands. Will keep you posted, drop me your personal email address at [email protected]

As for the alarm, I have had so many people ask me about this. The pager and main sensors linked to this, central locking, window closure, I did all this myself from intergrating various alarms components. The anti hi jacking stuff was all done by Tom White. Sadly Tom has moved on since his university days and I have lost touch with him, but he was always a guy who did these little weird one off things and then got bored because they were no longer a challenge to him.

I like the sound of going for a ride over in the US, but shipping cars abroad is expensive buisness.

If you are ever in the UK, then I would make time to spend time with you as I am sure our mutual interest would offer us plenty to talk about, by then I would have my baby looking real sweet.

As I said before if you need any help or guidance just ask.

To those who emailed me and ask what does EF MAX stand for, it is my UK car registration number " EFM 4X" but it is legally spaced out to read EF MAX. My Initials are EF, won't get all soppy and tell you that the MAX was for Maxine, though if you are reading this Maxine, I miss you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your car looks like it really thumps Sleaksilverpos!! It must be interesting to sit in back with the system on. :p Thanks for the pics and sharing your sweet ride.
GirlRacer

·
Registered
164 Posts
Girl Racer

Hi again. I have updated the audio page on my website so as to show a little more of what is in the car.

It is just about to start a major interior overhaul, re-trim on the seats and matching roof lining, new window tints, re-polish the wheels, fancy disc brakes, new door build, new boot build, will keep you posted. Was going to tune the engine but in all honesty it's plenty quick enough already.

By the way are you just passing through Germany or are you German.. just curious as I am an International guy myself interested in different cultures.

When I was away at Xmas, I tried to explain to my Czceh friends what an MX6 was, then out of the blue one day in Prague we say a red one parked up.. boy did I get excited showing this car off to them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EF MAX

Well, I finally got my e-mail working properly. So hopefully you'll be hearing from me more often! To answer your question, we are stationed at Ramstein Air Base near Kaiserslautern(about an hour from Frankfurt). We're here for just a little over 2 more years. We've already been here for almost 2! Anyways, I think we can probably make it to England for one show at least since it's not too far. ;)
GirlRacer

·
Registered
164 Posts
GirlRacer

Good to hear from you again, if you are only in germany for 2 more years, where are you from.

As for shows in the UK, the best is nearly always the first in Doncaster and the last in London but I will keep you posted.

This week see the start of the final phase of my car project and when this is done then that is it.

I have updated my web page on the project and it will continue to be updated as this phase goes along.

Take care... Erskine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:sigh: Only 2 people w/systems to show off?!?

:confused:Okay guys, come on now I know that out of our 898 (as of Feb.7) members registered there HAS to be more than just two people who are proud of their stereo set-ups!!
This is your chance to show it off and get a little appreciation for all of your hard work. I know you're out there, so let's see some representin'!!! :cool:
GirlRacer

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm posting to get this to the top!! Come on guys. I know you can do better than just 2 replies!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
STREETEFFECTS

Wow!! That's a really clean job you did. I just got the Phoenix Gold 350 & 400 ZX sereis amps, 3 JLAudio 12's and I am in the market right now for my head unit, DVD/CD changer and other components. I'm going for either Alpine or Eclipse. How did you get the two color neon effect like that inside the box? What head unit does it have and did you do any fiberglass work?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Killer Setup

Since we are all saying what kind of setup I will tell you all mine. All of this equipment was in a 90 Eclipse that took 1st in 1998 Spring Break Nationals, and 3rd in the World Finals for idbl 1-160 class, as well as countless other competitions.

Yellow Top Optima Battery
Eclipse 5506 Headunit (8 volt)
Rockford Fosgate 55a2 - for my mids
Rockford Fosgate 125a2 - for my sub
6.5" MB Quart Components (front - QM 2216CX)
6x9 Infinity Kappas 3-way (rear - 693i)
Rockford Fosgate Power DVC 10" in a Virtual Technology box
1.0 Stinger Farad Cap.
4-gauge Stinger wire.
Gutted trunk/hatchback

I consistently did 145 db which is damn high for 1 10" sub. But my reign of terror didn't last long when a company call Digital Designs came out with a 10" sub that could hold 1200 watts! But I did really good - I was points leader in my division and all sorts of cools stuff.

But now that I have a 93 V6 MX-6, my 6x9's wouldn't move over, so I got MB Quart 6.5" co-axel's custom installed in the back (RKC-116), and a new Memphis 4 channel Studio Amp - 75x4. Because the MX-6 has a trunk as opposed to my hatchback in the Eclipse, I have about 3/4 of the bass, but my highs just scream. I'm still figuring out what I can do to get my Optima Battery moved over because it won't fit in the stock battery location. But there ya go - there's my setup.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That sounds like an awesome system. Can you post some pics? I'm getting started on my system as soon as I can find some help on the fiberglass work.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Holy sh*t street effectz, that stystem looks hot. What type of car is that? Also what type of box is that? Witht that neon and lights, it looks awesome. What does something like that cost???

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Girlracer

I said a while ago I would try to get hold of a UK owner manual for you. If you are still interested I have got hold of one for a UK spec 6. Tell me where you want it sending to and I post it to you.

Cheers

dave

G

·
i got a cool set up

i have a custom box falf fiberglass and wood in the bok i have 2 12w3. The box has two port holes to see the subs and a kicker zd700 amp powering them i have a set of 3 pice mb's in the doors a xtant 2200 powering them. The amps are custum in staled too the kicker amp is on the box it sits between the port holes. The box is all black with yellow neons in the bow and around the holes and amp. The xtant amp is behind the passenjers wheel at a slight angle with a hole in the top so you can see the cap. I have not competed with it yet but it hits hard and clear. They need more comps. in the mn. area there is nothing around here.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MX6blu

That sounds like it'll possibly be an SPL contender when you get it finished. Is the fiberglass a smooth, painted job or vinyled?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Mac10, your Yellow Top Optima will fit in the stock location without any trouble. You need to remove the stock battery tray. I don't know why, but Mazda stuck it up a few inches too high. Once its removed, refabricate a lower-profile tray out of ABS, plexi, or whatever and bolt your battery in place. I've had my Yellow-Top in for 2 years now without incident.

BTW, 145db is NOT 3rd in the world. Its not 3rd in the world for a single 10". Its not 3rd in the world for an Eclipse. I'm trying to figure out what you may have meant... What are you trying to pull here? 145db is really great for a single 10" in an Eclipse, but its not a record-holder by any means. Was that IASCA, USAC (Outlaw?), or what??? Just curious.

[Edited by BOWDWN2MX6 on 04-16-2001 at 09:59 PM]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts