Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I have an 89' mx6 gt and i love it. when i first got the car every thing was cool but when i went around righ handed corners a noise came from the front of the car like something was rubbing on and off- the pace was determined by how fast you were going. any ways now i can turn left or right and somtimes when im going straight the same noise (and vibrations) happen only worse. I think i might have to do someting w/ an axle or both of them. any suggestions whold be appreciated. also if you know what parts i would need to replace/ fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Sounds like a front wheel bearing (or both) on the way out. I had the same problem on my old DX. It was a rubbing sound that would increase in volume as I took right hand turns. Eventually it got so bad that it would vibrate and make noise on the highway.

You can check the bearings by jacking that corner of the car up and see if the wheel has any play in it. Also take the wheel off and spin the brake disc while viewing from above (head in the fenderwell.) If the brake disc visibly "wobbles" when turning it's probably a wheel bearing.

The only sure fire way to check a wheel bearing is to take the entire knuckle assembly off the car and spin the bearing by hand, checking for noise.

The wheel bearing itself is not expensive, but the installation is a pain. The bearing needs to be pressed in/out of the hub and requires an experienced machine shop or the mazda dealer's press adapter to be done properly. Many people simply find a replacement hub/bearing/knuckle assembly from a junkyard and replace the whole thing.

I also would check the cv boots/axles tie rods, and tires for damage while you're down there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I will agree with magic8. I had the same problem, i replaced CV axle, it did not go away, later i read at Haynes manual how to check for wheel bearings and i suspect they are the problem. Just put your car on jackstands and holding the tire on the top and on the bottom try to rock it forward and back, if rocking that is wheel bearing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Ill check it out. my friends dad owns a machine shop- or ill replace the whole thing. does that assembly have to be off of a gt? would a 626 work? thatnks for the help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
First check the hub carrier bearing (as mentioned earlier). If you take it all apart check the hub itself. I bought a 6 with a bad bearing, so I replaced it. However, the wobble/rubbing/grinding noise was still present, so I took it all apart again. This time I noticed that the hub itself had been worn due to the bearing failure. ( I should have known enough to check it while it was torn down, but I was impatient!) I am still waiting for a replacement hub, but it should cure my ailment!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts