Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading that most people buy their Axle kits from a local parts store (90$ Canadain was the only $$ someone stated). Ture? Or is there somewhere cheaper on-line?

I'm going to take on this job myself, and since i've never really worked on cars before i bought this 6, i would love some tips if you have the time.

Thanx

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I got mine from AutoZone for about $69 the first time and did it myself. Then the other side failed. I bought the axle and took it to a tire/front end shop. They charged about $40 or $50 for labor, which was worth it for me!

It's not a tough job in concept. Just the axle nut is tight sometimes, and it can be hard to get the end of the shaft in and out of the transmission. The manual says to use a ball joint puller and remove it from the lower control arm, which I could never do. So I removed the top assembly to wiggle the axle out. I think it's the two bolts that hold the strut on, but I can't remember. You'll see what I mean if you do the job, or PM or email for details.

It's been a year and a half since I had my six, and probably almost 2 or 3 years since I did the axle job so memory is a little rusty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts