Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Bought A Complete Engine

I think Brian wanted to steer clear of injection, although the B2200 would go better with injection. not to mention better economy, easier starting...yada yada..
Well I come across a good deal on a 97 FS from a 626, I got it for $100

It had low compression so I am tearing it down for a rebuild.

I would like to get 140 to 160 HP with out turbo if possible, any Ideas on headers, cams, injectors, etc. etc.

p.s. the FI intake from the 626 faces the rear, any one know what intake, if any will bolt to the FS2 head that will face the front.

By chance would the 99 kia sportage intake bolt to that head?

·
Registered
20 Posts
any chance you could throw up some pics of the FS engine? i've seen a few in cars but never out of one. what tranny do you plan to run one the back of it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'll get the camera now and see what i can do, the engine is disasembled now, but I'll take some pics of the engines and the truck I am putting it in.

I havent done ANY WORK AT ALL TO THE TRUCK YET! SO DONT LAUGH.....LOL

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ok after quite a bit of work and tear down of the FS engine, I have realized that the oilpan will not work on the B2200 truck. The sump is too low and hits the steering components.

Also after tear down of the F2 that i have I notice that the rods and crank are alot tougher looking than the FS, plus the fact that the bore and stroke are quite a bit larger on the F2.

So now I am on the hunt again for an F2 head, I have found an FE head on ebay that they state will work on my 2.2 F2.

What I would like to know is which head is the best, F2 or FE?

Or is there even a difference between the two of them?

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Yes the SOHC 8v head fits, theyre essentially all the same for F8/FE/F2.

FWD and RWD versions of the 8v head use a different camshaft as the distributor is forward in the head on the RWD, while the FWD has it at the back

There maybe a difference in the cam profile, but AFAIK the valves, ports and CC volume are all the same.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
yep that will work for you, but 3 valves per cylinder is better than 2. see if you can find a company that will just import the b2200 F2 head, May be?
3 valves/cylinder probably is better, but since the valves are smaller does that make a difference?

I am no expert by any means................lol but I was just wondering, lets say the 8v head has lets say one 1.5" valve and one 1.75" valve. this equals 3.25"

Now compare that to the 12v, and I am just making up numbers here I dont know the actual specs.

Say the 12v has two 1" valves and one 1.25" valve this also equals 3.25" of flow space.

Even though the area is the same I would think the 12v head would still flow more air, is this correct?

If that is correct, then I would lean towards the 12v head. Now the next ?

Is there a CAS for the 12v head, I havent researched that yet. If not is there a way to make one using the 12v distributor?

:confused:

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
without going into way too much detail its easier to open two smaller and lighter valves than one large valve. the 12v flows better than the 8v.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Ok after quite a bit of work and tear down of the FS engine, I have realized that the oilpan will not work on the B2200 truck. The sump is too low and hits the steering components.

Also after tear down of the F2 that i have I notice that the rods and crank are alot tougher looking than the FS, plus the fact that the bore and stroke are quite a bit larger on the F2.

As you proabably allready guessed the FS isnt similar to any other F series engine. It shares various measurements with other mazda engines and a verry few parts will swap with other engines but the FS is basically all alone and not related to any other engine in the mazda lineup.

However if you look at the bell housing bolt pattern you'll notice the FE/F2 and the FS have a nearly identical arrangement.

The FE/F2 engines and trans have 2 extra bolts at the top of the block and bell housing.

The FS as a whole will bolt up to the FE/F2 trans. The block can proabably be drilled and tapped for the extra bolts if you dont feel comfortable running it with out them.

I dont know if the flywheel, pilot, clutch or converter will fit modded or not.

The FS has a side mounted dissy/coilpack so thats not an issue but as you said the FE/F2 is much beefier internaly and offers more options.

I say drop in a kia engine with a side draft carb fitted where the TB is and make an adaptor to run the 12V dissy off one of the cams in front.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I say drop in a kia engine with a side draft carb fitted where the TB is and make an adaptor to run the 12V dissy off one of the cams in front.
will the kia head fit on the 89 F2 that i have?

also the throtle body on the kia runs right over the valve cover. Is there room for a side draft to fit there?

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
just watch out cause the crank sensor mounts through the bellhousing

21 - 40 of 61 Posts